Does refitting a rear wheel slacken the chain...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Rhythm Thief said:
Agree with this. There's very little I can't do on a bike now. It's saved me a fortune in servicing over the years.

Yep - headset pressing, wheel building and hydraulic shock/ brake servicing are about all I can't do as well as a properly equipped LBS.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
In preparation for the repair this w/e hopefully...

Any hints/tips for re-sizing the new chain? This doesn't seem to be covered in the instructions I've seen so far which concentrate mainly on cassette removal/refitting.
Do you lay the old and new chain next to each other, then use the chain tool to remove the first 'surplus' link in the new chain? Does a new chain normally come as a single piece or are separate links included??

I'm getting nervous now.

Maz said:
In preparation for the repair this w/e hopefully...

Any hints/tips for re-sizing the new chain? This doesn't seem to be covered in the instructions I've seen so far which concentrate mainly on cassette removal/refitting.
Do you lay the old and new chain next to each other, then use the chain tool to remove the first 'surplus' link in the new chain? Does a new chain normally come as a single piece or are separate links included??

I'm getting nervous now.

Any time I've replaced a chain (only done it twice) it wasn't complicated and the new chain was a single piece (if that the correct term). The new chains were longer than the old so I just laid out both the old and the new chain and removed a couple of links on the new chain (with a chain tool) to make them the same/similar length, threaded it through the jockey wheels etc and joined them (one had a quick link the other I had to fit it with a chain tool).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Your old chain will have stretched slightly, but bet on removing 2-4 links. The difference in chain length between new and old will be tiny.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Thank you, HLaB and fossyant.
I might try and remove the cassette tomorrow, as I now have the tools to do that part of the job. Still waiting on new parts.
Cheers

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
OK, chaps - some more help please.

I've taken the old cassette off - dead easy (sorry, giant man, it really was dead easy!). Do I need to put any grease or anything on the hub/spline thingy that the new cassette will slide onto? My guess is the answer is 'no', but I wanted to check first.

Thanks for the advice thus far!
Cheers
Maz

giant man

There should be a thin layer of grease already on the splines Maz? Was on my new wheel anyway.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
giant man said:
There should be a thin layer of grease already on the splines Maz? Was on my new wheel anyway.
You mean grease on the splines of the new cassette? There is a little bit. I wondered if I had to supplement that by putting a bit more grease on the wheel's cassette-axle/hub thingy.

U

User482

I always use a thin smear of grease on the freehub body - stops it getting all rusty.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Thanks for the info, everyone.
I will return to this thread when I balls up the chain re-fitting.
Cheers.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
WAHAY! JOB DONE!
Now I'll get my own tools for next time AND do the job in a fraction of the time as well!
Thanks for helping me out.
Special thanks to fossyant for taking the trouble to give me instructions (and encouragement).

Cheers.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well done that man - easy isn't it....... now look after the chain, keep it lubed and clean - good wipe down with an oily rag and run the rag in between the rear sprockets to clear the crap out of them....

Right, headsets next........:wacko:

Top Bottom