Does removing wheel regularly cause damage or do harm?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gillian

Just bought my first real bike and hope to get plenty use of it, however I don't have a bike carrier so have to remove the front wheel to fit it in the car. I am likely to do this approx 4 times as I'm not keen on cycling on the roads where I live. Is this likely to cause any damage or weaken anything over time? I don't want to be shortening the life of parts etc by doing this but can't afford a carrier just now (apparently the strap on ones can cause damage to my car so I need either roof or tow bar one)

line71

No

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
yes its a terrible idea, I did exactly that once and 3 weeks later I got a puncture on some glass I didn't see quickly enough, I blame taking the wheel off. ;)

There won't be any problems, just make sure your wheel sits back in the dropouts properly, if it is a treaded tyre, that you put it back in the right way round and that everything is tightened and your brakes centred before you ride off. It'll take you longer to read this post than do that checklist every time though so don't worry about it. enjoy the riding and welcome to the forum.

Chris Norton

Easiest thing in the world to do with disc brakes. No messing about, just slot the rotor back in, quick release all tight and ride off. With rim brakes it can take a little longer (but not much).

Enjoy the ride.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Make sure the wheels are seated correctly and you`ll be fine.

Might be worth practicing with the rear if you have a derailure to get the hang of it.

Top Bottom