Does size matter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
My wife has hinted she would like a telescope for Christmas. She'd use it for looking at stars, planets and so on. However, I know nothing about telescopes and wondered if anyone here could give some advice.

1) Reflector or refractor?
2) Aperture or focal length - what figures are important?
3) Tripod mounted binoculars?
4) any suggestions around the £100-150 mark?

I should point out she's in a wheelchair so can't be bending over or moving heavy stuff around (hence the tripod for the binoculars).

classic33

Leg End Member
If you go with binoculars, what about getting a chest support as well?

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

What's that?

ETA - Oh I looked it up. I don't think that would be steady enough for stargazing.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
What's that?

ETA - Oh I looked it up. I don't think that would be steady enough for stargazing.
I was think more in taking some of the weight, with the arms/hands being used to keep the binoculars steady.
Give celestron.uk.com a gander as to whats available & prices.

TVC

I'm with Hoopdriver, You are best thinking about doubling your budget. I have 6" Newtonian which picks out a fair amount.

May I suggest you get in touch with your local Astronomical society and drop in on one of their group evenings. They will give the best advice, and should be happy to let her have a go with various bits of kit to see what suits her. There may be a chance of a borrow or second hand scope for her to get started.

hoopdriver

Guru
That's very good advice (above). Nothing like hands on experience to see what will work and what doesn't, especially is your wife is in a wheelchair.

Reactions: TVC
OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

Thanks for the pointers folks.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
My wife has hinted she would like a telescope for Christmas. She'd use it for looking at stars, planets and so on. However, I know nothing about telescopes and wondered if anyone here could give some advice.

1) Reflector or refractor?
2) Aperture or focal length - what figures are important?
3) Tripod mounted binoculars?
4) any suggestions around the £100-150 mark?

I should point out she's in a wheelchair so can't be bending over or moving heavy stuff around (hence the tripod for the binoculars).

I follow Virtual Astronomer @VirtualAstro on twitter and he has a guide for telescopes here you might find useful ->
http://www.meteorwatch.org/telescopes-beginners-easy-guide-review/

I just bought a pair of binoculars he was recommending and they are great for looking at the moon and the sky.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Buy some decent Bino's around 8x magnification - these can be held pretty steady. 10x probably will need a tripod.

8 x 50's will let in plenty of light. Good for sweeping the sky, moon watching etc.

Tbh at that sort of budget you may as well keep your money in your pocket re telescope. Unless you can throw serious money at it and get a really decent sized piece of kit then the experience can be underwhelming.

My late father had a big refractor and even that was disappointing to me (he loved it though) it only really came alive when it had a camera fitted to it - some smashing pictures were produced.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I have a Celestron 4.5 Newtonian. It is fine for me. I have a 20, a 10 and a 5mm eyepiece. It would be in your price range but I'm not sure how the tripod would be. I remember my kids struggling a bit. Like someone has said, best find one to try.

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

I follow Virtual Astronomer @VirtualAstro on twitter and he has a guide for telescopes here you might find useful ->
http://www.meteorwatch.org/telescopes-beginners-easy-guide-review/

I just bought a pair of binoculars he was recommending and they are great for looking at the moon and the sky.

Thank you so much for that. It seems like good advice. I don't want to go splashing out loads of dosh on something that may just be a passing fancy. She only mentioned it the once and I wanted to surprise her.

Top Bottom