Does the freezing weather keep you indoors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I'm still riding in the cold snap..only not as far and I'm on a galaxy with 28's instead

Rob500

Does the freezing weather keep you indoors?

No. But it does stop me going out on the bike. I've only got one bike and as much as I love it, riding around on icy roads on 23mm tyres makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

Nearly there

Veteran
After doing little or no riding for 5 weeks this week I decided to man up and get out and enjoy this good spell of weather weve had (cold temps aside:cold:)put plenty of layers on and felt warm apart from cold feet despite wearing 2 pairs of socks I only encountered ice once and must say it was a challenge going over it with slicks on but I didnt come off,Its raining here today but 4 miles down the road the fells are covered in the white stuff.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
After doing little or no riding for 5 weeks this week I decided to man up and get out and enjoy this good spell of weather weve had (cold temps aside:cold:)put plenty of layers on and felt warm apart from cold feet despite wearing 2 pairs of socks I only encountered ice once and must say it was a challenge going over it with slicks on but I didnt come off,Its raining here today but 4 miles down the road the fells are covered in the white stuff.

Neoprene over shoes FTW!

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
One 'off' on ice last January, one 'off' this January. I'm still learning to read the forecasts to find a decent safety margin. It's just not worth the risk. Commuting only on salted city roads during the cold. There are plenty of days with no threat of ice for the fun stuff. Patience.

BSRU

A Human Being
I have spent the last eighteen months building up my collection of clothing and equipment to ensure the weather is not a problem.
The previous winter was far worse, lots of snow and colder than it has been so far this winter and I kept on going through that.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
this weather does keep me off the bike - but it didnt stop me doing a 10 mile walk with the dog this morning - it was -5 and snowing.

Next time i go out on the bike it will be april - knee surgery friday.

Jonathing

Über Member
Nope, 45 miles this morning with a maximum temperature of -7. Everything hurt by the end of it and it was just beginning to snow as I got indoors.

Norm

Nope - the bronchitis, that keeps me indoors but I've been out today anyway. Just a short ride but it's the first time I've ridden a week and I'm on the edge of cabin fever.

Mind you, after 10 miles, I was also on the edge of needing oxygen. :laugh:

AlanW

Guru
I have ridden in every day this week, but at -10 at 7am yesterday morning it was chuffing cold!! In fact I have never been so cold, my 7 mile journey into work includes a long (2 1/2 miles in fact) steady downhill section and I was that cold by the time I got down to the main road at the bottom that I had to stop, so that I could try and move my arms and legs again.

But I was out again this morning as it was only -5 and got another 45 miles in the bag.

But its snowing like hell at the minute, so I've dumped the road bike and I've just armed the MTB ready.....

dsc05469de.jpg

dsc05470v.jpg

BSRU

A Human Being
I have ridden in every day this week, but at -10 at 7am yesterday morning it was chuffing cold!! In fact I have never been so cold, my 7 mile journey into work includes a long (2 1/2 miles in fact) steady downhill section and I was that cold by the time I got down to the main road at the bottom that I had to stop, so that I could try and move my arms and legs again.

But I was out again this morning as it was only -5 and got another 45 miles in the bag.

But its snowing like hell at the minute, so I've dumped the road bike and I've just armed the MTB ready.....

dsc05469de.jpg

dsc05470v.jpg

I have a MTB equipped with the same tyres, ready for some fun in the snow.

Hip Priest

Veteran
It hasn't kept me off the bike so far, but I'm glad I got my weekend ride in this morning, as it started snowing as soon as I got back. Ice is a worry, but luckily round here we've mainly had a dry frost, which isn't as bad. I've just taken it easier.

Top Bottom