Does the freezing weather keep you indoors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Doesn't keep me from riding but confines me to the uprights as I need to borrow a 26" spiked tyre to see if it'll fit on my 'bent. As for the uprights, grippy 23mm tyres & gently does it round the corners.

Paladin - York

It hasn't done yet! But it sure has reduced the mileage I do. I have so far managed to get out and do at least 6 miles every day this year but that target is looking definitely at risk based on today's weather. Without the necessity to even leave the house the discipline to get the bike out every day is, surprisingly, still holding up - at the moment. Although the temperatures have been well below freezing the roads have been very dry and free from ice - so far. I am still using "slicks".

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Not yet it hasn't. I must admit I have been a bit shy on the roads the last few days, even on my crosser with nobbly tyres. If it gets too dicey to ride I just switch to running instead. Just as good for you, although not as much fun.

col

Legendary Member
Never used to keep me in a few years back. I didnt even take much notice of what type of tyre I was using, just what ever came with the bike. When I replaced them I just matched what was already on. But now it does. Injuries are too easy and take too long to go now, and the thought of that hand slap on an icy road sends shivers down my back.

boydj

Legendary Member
Managed six days in a row last week - M+'s on the commuter for 3 days, GP 4 Season on longer runs last week-end. Cold, clear, little wind and probably -6 on the coldest day. I now have chillblains on my lower legs:headshake:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I used to get the bus/train when I was younger, as I get older I'm keener on riding. Last week was fine as although it was cold it was dry and there was little ice about round my way- as it goes I rarely encounter ice not associated with earlier snow.

Snowing now, so maybe the studs on Monday.

Chances are the site will be closed if there's substantial snowfall though, I won't be upset if I get my commute in before I get the phonecall.

D

Deleted member 1258

No, I cycled the 6.5 miles to work yesterday and it was cold enough to ice up my beard, if this snow hangs about then I wont be out tomorrow, but I'm hoping it will clear and I can get out for a few miles.

No, still commute, but keep to the roads that are treated & lit.
Only to arrive in work on time and hear my motorist work colleagues complain about the cold weather and how they have cracking their windscreens after pouring hot water on them, how their batteries are flat and their family members have been involved minor shunts.

Paladin - York

DSCN8389.JPG
DSCN8390.JPG

Nah! Doesn't look good.

yello

-14 and snowing steadily. I'll probably make it as far as the cupboard for the whisky bottle. What time does the rugby start?

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Cold never used to, but was always very cautious if it was icy.
Nowadays, I'm older & have more time on my hands, so I pick & choose when to ride.
The older you are the longer it takes to recover.
Summer usually sees me on a skinny tyred bike, whilst in winter I ride wide tyres.

I've been out a few times lately when the Met have said its below zero (-2deg ish) but I go with the thermometer that hangs out my bedroom window, I think the coldest it has shown is about -0.9deg C when I've been out with the club. If I'm on my own, I wait till its + and choose my route appropriately. Having said that I waited till 2pm on Friday and went up Knockhill and it was still icy up there!

Top Bottom