Does the Met office know anything?

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Each day is independent of the next surely? Wouldn't it be the case that on one day out of a 100 locations 5 would have rain?

Which 100 locations would you picks? North Pole…

Jody

Stubborn git
That was a bit of a freak downpour though. Nipped in Aldi and it was dry, came out and the roads were flooded. Went to my parents who are only a few miles away and it was still dry :blink:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Yes, but do they predict it correctly??

A short term prediction for a single location is a very different kettle of low-hanging fruit compared with more general forecasts - especially in a hilly area such as this, where you can have rain one side of a hill & not the other.

In other words, yes they do.

Jameshow

Veteran
Weather too nice for my mate riding up into the dales whilst I have covid!

Alex321

Veteran
Each day is independent of the next surely? Wouldn't it be the case that on one day out of a 100 locations 5 would have rain?

I think the 5% rain bit is only a generated figure which doesn't mean much.

It means just what it says.

I've had rain on 5% days and sun with no rain on 75% days. I

Which will happen. On average, out of every 20 days where it is 5%, it will rain on one of them. Out of 20 days with a 75% prediction, it will be dry on 5 of them.

think forecasts are too focused on the south and then everything north of that I don't think you can trust the forecast. Perhaps the bit cities might be more accurate. But whatever the case plan for the worst hope for the best!
I don't think that is true at all.

Forecasts tend to me more accurate in flatter terrain, just because the weather is more predictable there. But I haven't seen any evidence otherwise of forecasts being more accurate either in the South, or in cities.

Reactions: C R

newts

Veteran
All the extra brains in Devon keep the clouds higher🤣
With all of our undulating geography it must be difficult to forecast weather in the south west. I find that location based forecasts via the app are very good.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
All the extra brains in Devon keep the clouds higher🤣
With all of our undulating geography it must be difficult to forecast weather in the south west. I find that location based forecasts via the app are very good.

I encountered 3000ft of upwardly undulating geography starting less than a mile from my house last weekend...fair made me puff I can say. No idea what the weather was doing.....

Top Bottom