Does this constitute a cartel???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maroon

Über Member
Hi
Just popped into Evans for price matching in some gatorskins and was politely informed price matching now only applies to main competitors who strangely had all bumped up their prices similar to Evans, guess my question is how come and is this fair?????

BurningLegs

Veteran
Who was the competitor that you wanted to price match against, out of interest?

If you have a CycleSurgery near you then I can recommend them - their price match policy is excellent and it applies across Europe so you can go in store and get a product at the same price as one of the German websites.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ooh they've changed their rules...annoying!

I got a really good deal on gatorskins from Halfords, made better as I was a BC member then, cost me £19 a tyre for 25s if I recall. Halfords will still price match all retailers I think, try there

I'd hardly call it a cartel, they can price how they wish and you are free to shop elsewhere

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member

If you have a CycleSurgery near you then I can recommend them - their price match policy is excellent and it applies across Europe so you can go in store and get a product at the same price as one of the German websites.
Wouldn't like to name them but sounds like Winstanley Bikes and I will be taking my hard earned cash there, your loss Evans I shan't be back.

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Can I also add at this juncture loads of choices out there found some great deals on Winstanley Bikes, Mantel ( Dutch company) JE James I could go on etc.....

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member

When you say across Europe does that apply to stores such as Mantel ( Dutch based) ??!

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Ooh they've changed their rules...annoying!

I got a really good deal on gatorskins from Halfords, made better as I was a BC member then, cost me £19 a tyre for 25s if I recall. Halfords will still price match all retailers I think, try there

I'd hardly call it a cartel, they can price how they wish and you are free to shop elsewhere
£24.00 for gatorskins from Winstanley if you need them???

petek

Über Member
I priced a recent major purchase in both Halfords and Evans.
Louth Cycle Centre got it for me quicker, cheaper and offered me a brew when I went in to collect it. Plus they have a loo you can use.
No disrespect intended here- to either Halfords or Evans hard working staff.
I came away from Louth thinking that my kit had been assembled and checked by people who actively wanted to be in and enjoyed the cycle trade.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Just popped into Evans for price matching in some gatorskins and was politely informed price matching now only applies to main competitors who strangely had all bumped up their prices similar to Evans, guess my question is how come and is this fair?????
https://www.evanscycles.com/help/price-match basically says they now match against only three other businesses! (because IIRC Tred-z and Cycle Republic are owned by Halfords and C.R.C. is owned by Wiggle)

Is three businesses a record for the narrowest "price match" ever? Even supermarkets during price wars tend to match whichever of Asda, Morrisons, Sainsburys, Tescos and Waitrose they're not (although the cynic would say that adding some of those probably doesn't lower many more...).

Top Bottom