Does this happen anywhere else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
Authorities like nothing better than to exert a controlling influence on people's lives and children are a wonderfully soft target, especially at school, where pompous little headmasters can be virtual dictators. Even more so when this tightening of the grip is done in the name of 'safety' and a pompous sort of 'concern'.

Nauseating.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Plenty of schools have tried this and quite a few have succeeded too. Luckily my kids school are not quite so unenlightened, although they ban cycling in school grounds, whilst allowing cars to drive in.

OP
OP
jonnysnorocket
Having passed this (typical ) school regularly, it is evident there can be issues with kids on bikes, darting in & out of the crawling traffic, double parked cars, buses & pedestrians in the morning & kicking out time.
But IMO, they pose no more of a safety issue than the kids on foot, running & chasing about, just being kids.
Maybe the real issue, is the double parking of cars, alot of which are half on the pavement anyway, causing blind spots. pinch points, and the passing of traffic oblivious to the children around them.
This scene is played out hundreds of thousands times a day up & down the country, and I feel the answer lies elsewhere, we should be encouraging our youngsters onto bikes, and accept the "cuts & bruises" that inevitably accompany that
Maybe it might be worth considering an enforced parking ban within 200 yards of the school at these times, and let the little darlings that don't ride to school at least get a bit of a walk in!

IMHO the number one problem is the very worrying way that so many kids are brought up these days by their parents, what with them only eating what they want to eat rather than, there's your food it is good food now eat it, being given mobile phones at far too younger age, not being encouraged to play competitive sport, having parents who think their kids are a disturbance to their freedom and general way of life AND in almost all cases a very worrying lack of and respect for imposed discipline anywhere etc. etc.

I am a parent and way back in the early 80's my daughter was brought up to respect, respect, respect and now in her late 30's she is a stickler for discipline at work (officer in the armed forces) but very perplexingly neither of her children are being taught house rules to the extent that my grandson is an absolute monster!

I have an enormous amount of respect for teachers these days, they have an ever increasingly difficult task to undertake and as such the headmistress at the school in Derby deserves to be given some credit for exercising her right to be concerned.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Our village school has done just that: after safety concerns about lines of sight, and following complaints from villagers about ignorant parents' parking, the school petitioned the council to place parking restrictions along the road. Now the parents park sensibly away from the gates, 200 yards away, and everything seems tidier and safer.

The only child killed at my primary school between 1972 - 78 was unfortunately hit by a car on the Zebra crossing. The bike sheds were massive and held around a hundred bikes for 200 children. That shed was always full.

Chocolate bars were also twice the size and kids weren't so fat. It's not difficult to see where all this is leading. Minister for Cycling! Legislate. The only way forward

Brandane

Legendary Member
Since when did teachers have any authority over what pupils get up to outwith school grounds?
Try speaking to a head teacher about the conduct of pupils in my local park at lunch time and you will get short shrift on the grounds that the pupils are outwith the school's jurisdiction once they walk out the gates.
Yes she can probably make things awkward by banning bikes from the school grounds once they arrive there, but what they get up to on the way there is none of her business.

Then there was this wee gem which IMHO takes away any credibility she might have had. Good on the pupils:
Mrs House said: “Despite regular reminders, the majority of students are not wearing cycle helmets.

"Most have them, but they stay in bags or on the handlebars of their bikes.

I am left wondering if she will try and ban pupils traveling to or from school by CAR if someone is injured in a collision.

Drago

Legendary Member
Will he ban teachers from driving to school if they have - or cause - an accident?

With such woeful social and professional judgement he isn't fit to be in charge of a school.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I saw an item on BBC Breakfast a couple of days ago, relating to the “epidemic” (their word) of accidents caused when children use trampolines. They seem to have lost sight of the fact that bruises, minor cuts and the odd broken limb are part of childhood. Too many people attempting to remove all risk from everyday life. Perhaps, we should all be encased in bubble-wrap at birth?

Top Bottom