Does this look as it should

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mart79

Been having issues with indexing my gears, after watching a couple of YouTube videos I followed them exactly as said, and at 1 point I did manage to get it so it selected all gears, however no matter how much I adjusted the barrel adjuster to fine tune it wouldn't stop jumping out of the smallest cog.

I have given up on it to be honest, but 1 thing I did notice and I know the cassette needs to be spaced, but the gap between the cassette itself and wheel looks a little to much of a gap (you may need to zoom in) Could this be my issue. From what I could tell when the chain was in the biggest cog on the back it looked to be lining up with the front smallest cog. So assume it is in the right position. But wanted to get some advice and thoughts.
IMG_20200915_163343.jpg

Venod

Eh up
it wouldn't stop jumping out of the smallest cog.

The first thing to check is the deraileur sitting on the stop screw ( the one that stops it going further out) if it is will it screw out more, if it isn't sitting on the screw find out why.
Have you got enough slack in the cable? wth the gear on the smallest cog and the lever set for the smallest cog, and the adjuster wound right in, slacken the cable retaining screw to allow the cable to relax, now while gently pulling tension on the cable with pliers tighten the screw, take any slack out of the cable with the adjuster.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's a really cheap rear mech, and the spring may not be all that strong. You also need to check the mech and gear hanger (on the frame) to ensure that's not bent, and the cage aligns in a straight line with the rear sprockets.

n1ck5000

Assuming the cassette to be correctly seated, I'd undo the clamping nut that holds the end of the cable, and then slide the inner in and out in the cable sleeve to check that it is free moving with the outer sleeve, whilst also flicking the gear lever and pulling on the cable inner to check the full range of movement. Depending what they are made of, both the cable and the sleeve can go rusty inside so may need to be replaced. If all is free moving it may just be a question of adjustment and making sure there is enough 'slack' in the cable to allow the derailleur to rest on the small cog.

T4tomo

Guru
Defo need to check the lower limit screw, it could be that so even when in gear 7 (I think counted 7 speed) its trying to change into gear 6 as the derailleur wont go far enough over. The other thing is it could going too far and rubbing off the frame causing it to bounce off the sprocket

Drago

Legendary Member
Depending upon age, your cables could be corroded or dirty.
New, or at least decent cables that aren't that old, are an essential. Ensure the cable ends are properly seated in the ferrules, and the ferrules are properly seated in the cable stops.

Do indeed check the cassette is seated fully. Nevertheless, even if it isn't, then provided it is secure it should still index once you've set the basic reference position.

Also consider the age and type of derailleur. Old mechs get sloppy, and some were never that brilliant to begin with - it's hard to tell from the pic, but that appears to possibly be an older Tourney or altus mech, and they could be pretty horrific even when new.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Also consider the age and type of derailleur. Old mechs get sloppy, and some were never that brilliant to begin with - it's hard to tell from the pic, but that appears to possibly be an older Tourney or altus mech, and they could be pretty horrific even when new.

It's a lower model than that - the no name shimano mechs

OP
OP
M

Mart79

It's a new bike, my wife bought me from amazon due to lack of stock in any halfords for the last 6 month. I have tried undoing the outer limit screw as much as I could and it would then go into the smallest gear. However I then couldn't get 2 of the final biggest cogs. So thinking maybe a case loosening the cable slightly??

I had planned to get it into halfords last Friday for them to sort it out but my car failed its mot so that took priority and too much cash!!

Top Bottom