Does your ad-blocker still block ads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm pretty sure that after I installed AdBlock I pretty much stopped seeing ads. But I'm starting to get the feeling that advertisers are learning ways to evade it. I just got this, eg:

upload_2018-4-4_0-25-44.png

AdBlock says it stopped 9 ads on this page, but I can see at least three, in prominent positions.

It doesn't bother me that much. I just ignore them. But is it just me that's started seeing them again, despite blockers?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
MIne works fine: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
Don't be put off by the site name, by the way: the above works fine on Linux also.

Alex H

Legendary Member
I think the ads are embedded in the page, not from an external source. I use uBlock origin on Linux and have just added @Shut Up Legs solution as well.

Now I get this; The banner as have gone, but the others are still there.

Screenshot from 2018-04-04 09-47-05.png

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I forgot to mention: that hosts file on the site I cited (see what I did there? :laugh:) does get periodically updated, because obviously the list of annoying ad, mal, etc. sites just continues to grow.
Also, you can use your browser to find the source of any ads that you still see, and add another hosts file entry for that site, et voila! Ad gets removed after the page is reloaded.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Just did that and the Googlemonster just put a different ad in it's place ^_^
I know, I've noticed that myself, it's a bit frustrating at times. Just think how the authors of that hosts file must feel, there's a huge number of blocked sites listed in it, which must have taken them a long time to compile.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No ads (Firefox with NoScript.net set up pretty aggressively). Site doesn't work either, but you can't have everything! :laugh:

Screenshot from 2018-04-04 12-22-33.png

Top Bottom