Does your workplace provide indoor or outdoor cycle parking?

Where is your cycle parked whilst you're at work?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lockers - and big enough for the recumbent trike (when folded)

P5240046-1.jpg

exbfb

In our place, thsoe who don't like leaving their expensive bike outside locked up bring them upstairs. You often see bikes dotted around the office.

I'm glad the "Undesignated" options were added, as I guess a lot of people will use this and it tells a better story than just "indoor" "outdoor".

Years ago I used to lock up my old MTB on a drain pipe (metal) and take the front off, but never liked doing it. I didn't feel comfortable brining it in, but I noticed someone else doing it for a small period so now I use that place (they don't ride any more, and no longer works there either).

There was talk about an outdoor one on the office side (factory has one outside) but I honestly rather just keep it inside - no need for locks, no wheel bender racks, no need to take kit off the bike etc etc. Seeing as its a small office, I doubt anyone is going to ride - hopefully not (if so, id like a lockable cupboard style so kit can stay on the bike).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Outdoor covered Sheffield stands.

They have a gate that is supposedly locked between shifts ...

And CCTV , but security have been known to let cars be stolen off the car park even while they were watching so i do not hold much hope of them doing anything for a bike.

There is always a spate of thefts at work when C2W comes out so i might take a 3rd lock into work for a while , i know it will not stop thieves but when your faced with 3 locks on a bike or a very nice bike costing 2-3 times as much with a thin cable lock i am hoping they take the easy option.Not that i want any bike to be stolen but .. take the other one :blush:

We have pretty much nothing to lock our bike against at my work, not that there are many cyclists working there, maybe 4 or 5 on a nice sunny day including me.

We get a tin shelter that has no racks in it, just the supporting posts to lock up to, can be tricky with a small d-lock as I end up blocking the motorbikes in as my front end sticks out by 3-4 ft. I could point it the other way but I like to keep the gubbins at the back under shelter.

I wouldn't mind a purpose built cycle only shelter and there are plenty of places to put one but our company (okay I work for an agency who employ people to work where I do) don't really give a toss. Bikes are completely banned from going beyond the security barrier because of lorries in the yard yet cars are allowed in and are provided with a huge car park that is quite a bit closer to the offices than the "bike sheds".

Yeah, don't ya just "love it" when they play "father/mother knows best." Over here a LOT of the fast food places won't let cyclists ride their bikes through the drive-thru. They claim that it's for our "protection." Hmm, the state says that it is safe for me to ride "high speed" roads, Roads that have speeds upwards of 55MPH, but it's too "dangerous" for me to be in what is essentially a driveway with 5 - 10MPH "traffic." Where's the logic?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
My employers provide sod all regarding bicycles, in fact I don't think they realise they've been invented yet - fortunately I have my own office and I can park my bike in it.

Warehouse. Bike is left unlocked.
BUT. Thers only circa 20 people in the office (small warehouse is part of the building) on a bit out of the way industrial estate, and I'm the only one who cycles in.

Actually, I might cause a teeny bit of offense if I did lock it.

Why, would they claim that it was a "safety hazard?" Or would they think that you're suggesting that the warehouse isn't secure or that you don't trust your co-workers?

Several years ago when I was going to school, to help pay for my costs I was in the work study program. I worked for the Hillsborough Education Foundation after school. They had (I think) the janitorial staff install a big ass eye bolt in one of the stairwells for me to lock my bike to. I've also have been lucky in that most other places that I've worked that I've been able to either bring my bike inside or they had good secure facilities.

I have to wonder why more companies don't do everything that they can to encourage their employees to ride a bike to work or to carpool. The carpool can be an officially sanctioned carpool by the company where those who take part are given a stipend to help with the costs of using their cars. Or the company could provide a company car to be used for the carpool.

Company's can also encourage employees to use the local mass transit by working with the mass transit company(s) to provide monthly passes at a reduced fare.

And of course by providing some sort of secure, and weatherproof storage for those who opt to ride a bike to work. And if they really wanted to help their cycling employees they could also provide some sort of shower/locker room facility.

subaqua

What’s the point
Head office has space for "several " bikes" in the multistorey at the rear. its CCTV protected but not secured.

current site

South Plaza - covered parking for about 100 bikes- just about visible from security turnstiles but outside of the park. Other end of the park to me
White Post Lane entrance - covered space for 6 bikes, uncovered space for 20 bikes , now moved outside of the park security so I no longer use it . not visible from security turnstiles and several bikes have been nicked by the hackney wick criminal fraternity
North Plaza space for about 50 bikes sheffield stand type now uncovered and loose on the ground after a move a few weeks ago from one side of the entrance to the other. visible from security turnstiles although outside of the park and a security guard is stationed 24hrs at entrance and watches over the bikes.

this on the greenest Olympics ever. utter tosh - they want you to use public transport.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
My workplace provides sheffield stands outside, but also, any bike locked there will cause a conflict with any HGV reversing into the loading bay, I wouldn't use them.. :sad:

Saundie

Über Member
I'm fortunate enough to have been permitted to bring my bike into the office, as there's nothing suitable outside the office to lock it to. It's nice knowing that my bike is safe at all times :smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
covered area with dodgy handrail type rails
covered area with vertical wheelbenders
if you work on the ground floor no one objects if you park your bike near your desk if there is room

Top Bottom