Does your workplace provide indoor or outdoor cycle parking?

Where is your cycle parked whilst you're at work?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Covered Sheffield stands and good site security.

What with the disabled crapper I feel my needs are met perfectly.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Except when someone else decides to cycle and I have to wait outside said disabled crapper.

al78

Guru
Yeah, don't ya just "love it" when they play "father/mother knows best." Over here a LOT of the fast food places won't let cyclists ride their bikes through the drive-thru. They claim that it's for our "protection." Hmm, the state says that it is safe for me to ride "high speed" roads, Roads that have speeds upwards of 55MPH, but it's too "dangerous" for me to be in what is essentially a driveway with 5 - 10MPH "traffic." Where's the logic?

As a wild guess, it's probably because you can't sue them if you have an accident on the public road.

Nufab

Über Member
At my place we leave our bikes in the main corridor. Nobody bothers with locks... But then, it's a police station and not open to the public, so you'd have to have some balls to break in and pinch a bike. Gets pretty crowded though.. On a good day 6 of the 8 people on our team will cycle, and staff on the other teams are starting to as well, so before long the top brass will probably moan about the number of bikes lying around.... Health and safety and all that!

Cosmicned

Have both covered security coded access bike shed & covered but open access bike stands here at my College- but I just about get away with bringing my faithful road steed into my office - having seen security camera footage of local theives using portable angle grinders on my students bike locks - I don't think I'll be changing my habits any time soon...

Norm

We have several outside stands as well as a 5-floor underground car park which has loads of places to lock bikes if you don't want to leave them outside in sunny Bracknell.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Mine's a Brompton so it goes under the desk where I can see it. Full size bikes seem to be left in the cellar or where space is available on individual floors.

The main HQ buildings round Victoria have spaces/cages in basement car parks etc. Facilities would trample all over cyclists withdrawing parking spaces or lockers to fit other's needs but we have pretty vigilant user group.

IMG_0083.jpg IMG_0083.jpg Lucky here as well...

Firstly we are a secure site with 24 hour security in an area of wilderness...

We also have covered cycle area with stands for 20 or 30 bikes. The only down sider is that the cycle park is adjacent t the visitors car-park where Mr Contractor parks with their white van, though no bike has disappeared. I used to just leave my trek there unlocked, though I do secure my new ride.

Whilst we have issues with the room, we have a shower and lockers to store stuff in.

So cannot complain.

Adrian

ACS

Legendary Member
No outside parking facility due the site being mostly grade 2 listed (some parts grade 1), however, we are permitted to use internal spaces to secure our bikes. I am fortunate that we have the room where the accounts department store their archived documents opposite my office door so the commuter 'rests' in there.

Its great having a very senior manager who recognises and robustly supports those of us who commute to and from work, run a lunch times etc. He has found funding for male and female shower facilities, organised discounted membership at the local gym and council run fitness centre, squash courts and pool.

In fact he has just intimated that those who cycle can change in work time and be ready to leave on time so we miss the local peak traffic period making our journey home just that wee bit safer.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
No outside parking facility due the site being mostly grade 2 listed (some parts grade 1), however, we are permitted to use internal spaces to secure our bikes. I am fortunate that we have the room where the accounts department store their archived documents opposite my office door so the commuter 'rests' in there.

Its great having a very senior manager who recognises and robustly supports those of us who commute to and from work, run a lunch times etc. He has found funding for male and female shower facilities, organised discounted membership at the local gym and council run fitness centre, squash courts and pool.

In fact he has just intimated at those who cycle can change in work time and be ready to leave on time so we miss the local peak traffic period making our journey home just that wee bit safer.

Please don't 'big up' enlightened management like this. It confounds the stereotypes that abound on this forum.:thumbsup:

Holdsworth

Über Member
Yeah, don't ya just "love it" when they play "father/mother knows best." Over here a LOT of the fast food places won't let cyclists ride their bikes through the drive-thru. They claim that it's for our "protection." Hmm, the state says that it is safe for me to ride "high speed" roads, Roads that have speeds upwards of 55MPH, but it's too "dangerous" for me to be in what is essentially a driveway with 5 - 10MPH "traffic." Where's the logic?

The excuse is health and safety and also insurance policies. I have actually spoken to out H/R manager about this after my valves were tampered with and tubes let down one day and I asked whether I could bring my bike on site to my office. He said I cannot even wheel it on due to the reasons given above.

I personally can't see a problem when I get my Airzound, Magicshine light and high viz jacket combo together, no excuses
tongue.gif

Top Bottom