Does your workplace provide indoor or outdoor cycle parking?

Where is your cycle parked whilst you're at work?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gentlegreen

I'm very lucky. Our covered shed has a steel gate like something from a prison - though of course any normal holder of a security card could get access and I doubt there's any meaningful logging ...

The Sheffield racks are a bit densely packed, but cycling's definitely catching on ...

I'm lucky that I get there early enough to get an indoor space, and it's also within yards of where I've always parked my bike for 24 years.

vlcsnap2011070421h03m38.jpg

I noticed today that the fixie has finally gone after months of taking up a space. The Halfords BSO next to it still has unbroken cobwebs and bits of it are rusting spectacularly - I wish someone would move it to a garden shed to rust away instead.

The excuse is health and safety and also insurance policies. I have actually spoken to out H/R manager about this after my valves were tampered with and tubes let down one day and I asked whether I could bring my bike on site to my office. He said I cannot even wheel it on due to the reasons given above.

I personally can't see a problem when I get my Airzound, Magicshine light and high viz jacket combo together, no excuses
tongue.gif

But presumably you are allowed to walk the site without a bike and it's perfectly safe to do so, right? So how does pushing a bike alongside of you increase the "danger?"

Moby Jones

I work at my local school and we have a covered locked bike shed. Only a few of us and the janitors have keys for the padlock. I will take my bike into my office if I want to give it a clean or make some adjustment to it. Sits within touching distance of me

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Why, would they claim that it was a "safety hazard?" Or would they think that you're suggesting that the warehouse isn't secure or that you don't trust your co-workers?

Warehouse is secure and theres a lot of stuff in there worth more than my bike. Its the trust thing. I dropped a £5 note on the floor a while back, someone walked around the entire building trying to find out who it belonged to.

D4VOW

I've had to vote other. There is nowhere designated to park bikes so I have to find different places to leave it. The reason I say different is because every time the management find where I store my bike I'm told I'm not allowed to leave it there. I'm currently using one of the toilets lol.

I'm spoiled. The parking under our building has two men manning it usually. I haven't checked the cycle parking out - I've a folder, and no one minds me taking it in - but I know they have extended it in response to demand.

And guess what this is (besides a photo taken with a scratched lens):
IMAG0110 (1).jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
We have a large covered building attached to the garages for the works cars with a metal floor to ceiling railing front and access by the same security key as grants access to the main building. Unfortunately this doesn't stop some people leaving the gate open when they leave and the only stands are wheelbenders so me and my Ribble (or occasionally Lightspeed) riding colleague have to leave heavy duty D locks attached to the railings.

Covered cycle shelter, brand named Tornado, just like the one you see here .
How? Simple, I asked the boss if we could have a covered shelter for our Cyclesheme bikes to keep both them and the expensive accessories fixed to them safe and he said yes, so I ordered it, had a concrete pad cast to put it on and myself and Roubaix Murry built it over the course of two night shifts, easy! :biggrin:

abo

Covered cycle shelter, brand named Tornado, just like the one you see here .
How? Simple, I asked the boss if we could have a covered shelter for our Cyclesheme bikes to keep both them and the expensive accessories fixed to them safe and he said yes, so I ordered it, had a concrete pad cast to put it on and myself and Roubaix Murry built it over the course of two night shifts, easy! :biggrin:

Can you please come and build the one at my kid's school? They put the pad in and disappeared. I suspect the school might get them to come back just in time for the holidays, when my son moves up to the next school...

Still, I just chain his bike, and my daughter's, together to the metal railings near the office along with a couple of others and they've been fine so far

novo19

The company I work for provided all the materials for a shelter and a fellow worker fabricated everything that was needed for our bike shelter, the cycle racks inside it was made as well to hold up to 30 bikes and these are bolted down to the ground. :biggrin:

Fair do's to my company they do try to promote cycling as a lot of the workers live within 5 miles of work but quite a few still use a car! The quickest route for me is 8.5 miles and I can increase that if I feel like it. Even tho they have provided a shelter they still wont do the cycle to work scheme! :sad:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My youngest child's school has reasonable parking for the kids but within the school grounds. I watched an assembly last week - only about a maximum of 20 parents and yet there were 5 bikes locked up to any bit of metal they could find. I wish they would put in cycle parking for visitors and parents at school.

nich

Sort of.

There's a secure small underground carpark which has bike racks, space for motorcycles and a few cars.

It's awesome.

Only problem is that they only have 1 key for the whole building. It's a complete faff to get the key and it takes ages, and when you do ask for the key, someone else usually has it.

So my has work has great storage, but the process they have in place makes me avoid using it. I opt for the public racks outside, but a couple of bikes have been nicked in the last few weeks, so I'm wary.

ian emmerson

Secure outbuilding, with only my bike stored their or warm laundry room. Worth also mentioning that our housekeeper hunts out my clothing etc if its been wet , washes and drys them and leaves them on a radiator for when im going home.
I am also allowed to use a company vehicle to go to lbs if i need a repair , wheel trueing etc during works time

Think i am spoilt

Top Bottom