Doesn't look that difficult.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User32269

Took my lad over to Ireland for a kids footy tournament a couple of weeks ago, we were lucky enough to stay in Bundoran, Irelands premier surfing resort. (I didn't know such a thing existed!)
Part of the trip included a couple of hours surfing with instructors. Never tried surfing but can't be that hard, I told myself. Two hours of face planting and swallowing gallons of the North Atlantic later, had to admit (A) its difficult & (B) I can't do it. Annoyingly, my 10 year old lad looked like he'd been born on a surf board after ten minutes. I couldn't even catch him to knock him off as I was too busy swallowing sea water.

It got me thinking how we've all underestimated how difficult some things are, but wildly overestimated our own ability.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I did water skiing once. After several face-plants I finally managed a proper run. What amazed me (and why it should have I can't imagine) was how physically gruelling it was. It looks so elegant and graceful, but boy do you have to hang on.

OP
OP
U

User32269

I managed to not once get past kneeling on the board and stand up. Made me realise that cycling keeps you fit, but doesn't do much for your upper body, was aching for days!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I am similarly crap compared to my (what was at the time) 13 year old son

I've rationalised it as follows:

Standing on a surfboard, the lower your centre of gravity, the more stable you become. Adult males have higher centre of gravity due to upper body muscles that a 13yr old doesn't have. Hence I fell off a lot and he didn't

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I had my first surfboard at the age of 10, my Dad had to carry it for me!
It’s a great sport and you need to be very fit. Sadly I stopped in my early 20s.

I jave some great memories of borrowing my Dad’s van, chucking a mattress in the back and hurtling down to Cornwall late on a Friday night after the pub closed.
Glory daze.

OP
OP
U

User32269

I am similarly crap compared to my (what was at the time) 13 year old son

I've rationalised it as follows:

Standing on a surfboard, the lower your centre of gravity, the more stable you become. Adult males have higher centre of gravity due to upper body muscles that a 13yr old doesn't have. Hence I fell off a lot and he didn't
Yeah, knew there would be a good reason!

Tried it once and it's flippin hard. Luckily although I lack the ability I completely nail the look.
ea7e520baf369acbcaba2ea57a4070aa.jpg

OP
OP
U

User32269

Wasn't a big fan of the wet suit look on me, looked like some black pipe cleaners with a ping pong ball stuck on top.

OP
OP
U

User32269

My Dad used to surf until well into his fifties, which always seemed odd to me as he's a real square.
I'm an old geezer now, and there was a guy surfing who looked the spit of me from a distance. (old bald and slim!)
All the sensible parents, who didn't get into the freezing Atlantic, stood on the beach marvelling at my brilliant wave riding for a few minutes, they told me later. Until they looked left and saw the sad reality of the real me feebly trying to stand on the board.

Top Bottom