Dog attack.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member

Your reply ;

Constructive ?. . . . . . . 'nope'

Witty ?. . . . . . . 'nope'

Result . . . . . . . 'Fail'

Dajoker188

He said he had worked with dogs in the past though, so if true, surely must have had some sort of idea, or at least clicked when the owners were talking to him? Maybe I'm just more instinctive about these things (or possibly more naive), but I'd find it VERY difficult to forget info like that. Admittedly, we have had had dogs for 11 years now, so I've had a while to practice right from scratch and have got to know the canine condition just a bit. I'm still learning though.

Well you are taking a certain risk every time you cycle past any dog, I agree, but as for the 'lowlife' bit, as I've said, I do feel people judge me because I happen to have a Staffie in tow. I rarely let her off the lead these days, but still, you see them watchin' you, and it isn't paranoia either! Most people are great, but you also get the few who just think you can't be up to any good.
We even have a neighbour who doesn't like coming to our door because of the dog. The reality is that Cindy would probably just lick her and ask for strokes/cuddles. :laugh:
To be honest I am a dog lover myself but surely people have a right to use public walks ways/areas without fear of initimidation. And to be fair the guys actions though a little comical, were actually justified. People shouldn't be expected to have knowledge of dog behaviour just to avoid dog attacks in areas designated for public use..

Reactions: 4F

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
People shouldn't be expected to have knowledge of dog behaviour just to avoid dog attacks in areas designated for public use..

I agree, but he actually said that he had worked with dogs, so must have known something at least.

I wonder if better education in society as a whole would actually help or not. Annyway.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I agree, but he actually said that he had worked with dogs, so must have known something at least.
I wonder if better education in society as a whole would actually help or not. Annyway.

I think the best help would be keep the dog on a lead otherwise you start to get in the realms of victim blaming.

As a dog owner myself, mine always goes on a lead as soon as we see anyone else either on foot or bike and if I was on a shared use path they would always be on a short lead.

on the road

Über Member
I've got a Staffy and a Springer. Recently, the Staffy got an infected paw and wasn't allowed to be walked for a few days. I noticed a distinct rise in the number of people who left their dogs off lead when I approached with just the Springer!
Staffies have got a poor reputation thanks to the chavs and the low lifes using them as status dogs, some of them teach them to fight, that's the reason I don't get staffies. I've had dobermans and alsations in the past and they don't seem to have quite as bad a reputation as staffies even though they should.

Once when walking through the park with my dog (my dog is the same hight as a staff but slimline and wouldn't harm a fly) I was walking past a group of guys who were waiting for their fix with a staff that that was fiercly growling at my dog and chomping a the bit try to get at my dog, it looked like they had tought it to fight with other dogs, when I came back they were still there (obviously the drug man didn't arrive) so I had to take a detour and it's people like them that have given staffies a bad name.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Regardless of breed, some dogs naturally just don't like others, so growling etc doesn't necessarily mean that it has been trained to fight as well you will know, being a dog owner and all. Also, the stereotyping of owners doesn't help! Waiting for their fix? Did you ask? :rolleyes:

They do have a bad name from the idiot owners though, I agree, although they do seem to be flavour of the month in the press recently regarding them being dangerous. I remember the whole Rottweiller thing several years ago. Now nobody bothers with them, so how much is it the owners and how much is it scare stories in the media portraying every Staffie as a 'Devil Dog'?

on the road

Über Member
Regardless of breed, some dogs naturally just don't like others, so growling etc doesn't necessarily mean that it has been trained to fight as well you will know, being a dog owner and all. Also, the stereotyping of owners doesn't help! Waiting for their fix? Did you ask? :rolleyes:
I know them.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I'm fairly fed up with status dogs. Every other one around my way seems to be one and I'm afraid that I do make the assumption that they are going to be aggressive and they usually are because their owners are usually aggressive. It's a vicious cycle where by idiot, insecure aggressive morons get status dogs because they enjoy being able to intimidate people with them and because they don't know to express themselves in anything other than aggressive terms that is the behaviour they pas on to the dog. Then because these dogs are aggressive other morons see them and want one.
People with them will always deny getting them because they are aggressive and say how loving they are and excellent companions. I find that this is true of most dogs and find it hard to believe that status dogs are any more loving than any other.
I walk the family dog every day but have opted to take the 10pm walk because there are very few other dog walkers out at that time. I don't cope well with dog confrontation and am aware that my reaction could make things worse so I just try to avoid contact. Peple with aggressive dogs have really sucked a lot of the joy out of walking our dog for me and I bloody well resent that.

I love dogs even though i've never owned one.
I once had a couple of medium sized dogs set about me whilst out walking, but instead of fighting against
them i carried on walking, avoiding eye contact, hands in coat pockets, etc.
They lost interest, i was just a moving object to them.

As for dogs when on the bike ... i have a regular 30 mile route that i hit 2 or 3 times a week, at either 5am or 6pm
depending on work commitments.

I know where all the dogs are, plus the ones that are liable to shoot out from under the owners ill fitting front gates.
One time i had a staffy attack my rear wheel and i felt a brief jump from the bike as it clamped down (crazy mutt)!
There's five border collies that always have something to say when i pass ... until one day their gate popped open,
i just stopped and got off, ended up patting them all while the frantic owner came running out.

Anyway, i have tried several deterents on a couple of the "trap door spiders" that fly out from nowhere.

Ultrasonic devices don't work, a barking dog is too noisy to hear them anyway. (Poor).
A squirt from the water bottle ... hard to aim at 15mph+ (Poor).
Very bright light mounted on helmet ... dazzles the dog at night so it can't see you. (Good).

And my favorite that i use all the time ... a kids cap gun that uses the plastic caps. (Brilliant).

The gun fits nicely in my crossbar bag, plus makes enough racket to make the dogs owners think someone
has shot their dog!
http://www.capguncaps.co.uk/shop/ar...d1JAKq2Ohkd5RpvAKsoy6&shop_param=cid=2&aid=6&

And if you are really worried about being clamped by a pitbull and not in the uk:
http://www.waspknife.com/

Big boy

Dogs scare the crap outa me, even though i have 2 myself.
Most will just chase and bark, if you have to stop as others have said keep your bike in its way.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've got 3 greyhounds and do get nicer treatment from other owners and passers by than when I'm walking my sons Staffie (soft as owt and daft as a brush) I've also got visible tattoos when wearing shorts or shorter than normal sleeved t-shirts - I'm obviously a wrong un.

Or you want everybody to think that you are! "Tatts" and "Staffies" wow so macho(!):boxing:

Top Bottom