Dog attack.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
I have been bitten by a dog on two occasions, When I was about six I put my head towards a dogs head while saying "Nice doggie, nice doggie" his lower set got me under the chin and the top set got my nose, not a nice doggie at all. The second time I was picking potatoes and my uncles dog was sitting on the empty sacks, I filled one sack and went for another, the dog grasped my wrist so I kicked it, he let go of my wrist and latched on to my ankle, so I punched him. he let go of my ankle and grabbed my wrist again and so on until my uncle saw this dance and yelled/screamed at the top of his voice "HEY" and the dog froze. This is the method I now use when one or two chase me and it works (so far).

@SatNavSaysStraightOn I remember your story when this attack first happened. Well done for getting back out there on the bike, I'm glad to hear you're recovering. You're right that when dogs (especially such large ones) are in attack mode there's little you can do except try and escape. That must have been a really horrific experience for you and your husband.

Hi
rehab is taking longer than hoped for me, but Stuart is back on his bike, without too many issues, just gets the odd pain now and again from the bite area. I am getting there slowly, averages are coming up very slowly - both speed and distance but I suspect it will be a while before I get to even the metric century and any thoughts of joining the local cycling club are pretty much out - they do between 60-80 miles on a run, so it is mostly a self motivated thing which can be hard, also not knowing anyone in this immediate area does not help.
Mostly it is a case of learning to trust the leg again, and remembering to do the hours physio each day, else 2 days down the line my muscle seizes up and hurts like....

I'm not worried about dogs which is good. I dog sit for a large male irish wolf hound who likes to put my entire forearm into his mouth as a form of begging - he is only 4 years old and has not yet given up on that one. its the little yappy things I don't really like much, but I never did.
thanks for remembering :thumbsup:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
"
Out of control dogs

Report a dangerous dog to your council's dog warden service
Contact your local dog warden serviceContact your local dog warden service Opens new window
It is an offence to allow a dog of any type or breed to be dangerously out of control:
  • in a public place - like a street, park, bus shelter or the common parts of a block of flats (like the entrance or stairs)
  • in a private place where the dog isn't allowed to be
Public areas also include fields, footpaths and beaches.
What is 'out of control'?

Your dog is dangerously out of control if it:
  • injures a person, or
  • behaves in a way that makes a person worried it might injure them.....................
  • So what should i have done last Sunday when i had to stop as one of these horrible monsters was out of control, running all over a street while its equally monsterous owner was too busy checking his mobile phone to care about Tyson's actions? Should i have phoned 999 maybe? The infuriating thing is that the government and the law know that these creatures pose a major threat to people and other animals yet they do bugger all about it!!:angry:
  • Am i supposed to be grateful that Tyson only sniffed my leg and didn't chew it?! Come on "Call me Dave" Cameron! You're supposed to be the party of law and order. Well let's bloody well have some then!!!:angry:

Licramite

Über Member
dogs are tough. lots of muscle - you have to go for balls or eyes
which ever you can stick you thumb into first
if you can get your fist in its mouth, push it down its throat till it chokes to death
but if you think you will encounter dogs, carry a knife.-and use it.

I,m for exterminating the breed and the owners.

on the road

Über Member
dogs are tough. lots of muscle - you have to go for balls or eyes
which ever you can stick you thumb into first
if you can get your fist in its mouth, push it down its throat till it chokes to death
but if you think you will encounter dogs, carry a knife.-and use it.

I,m for exterminating the breed and the owners.
Which would be impossible, a dog will bite whatever it feels threatened by, so say goodbye to your fist.

ayceejay

Guru
Maybe it was karma or something else related to this topic but:
I was out this morning and boy was it fwindy, up ahead I see a woman walking her dog, it on a lead. As I approached the dog went for me from behind the woman's legs, I did my 'Hey!' thing more at the woman than the dog. Anyway I looked back and she had the lead wrapped around her legs cursing as she lay in the road. Then somehow, magically the wind didn't seem so bad.

Hi - I've only just come across this thread. It is interesting if a little alarming as to what people think is and is not going to work.

I have had 1st hand experience of a pack of 5 dogs attacking myself and my husband back in February of this year.

That's a horrific story, wishing both you and your husband a full recovery.

You couldn't have been picked on by a worse breed of dog - the Kangal has the highest measured bite force of any breed of dog - over twice that of a German Shepherd. :sad:

Licramite

Über Member
the other week I was coming back from a ride and a woman was walking her dog by cycling with the dog on the lead - one of those extendable ones.
dog saw me and shot right across her front to get me

by the time I stopped she was in a tangled heap in the hedge.
she was ok so I carried on.

as for the fist down the throat, it was one of ways we were taught in the army - didn,t say you wouldnt come out scragged doing it.
if theres more than one of you , one offers a body part and when the dog grabs it the rest grab the dog.
apparantly the best bit you can offer is your elbow, if the dog grabs that you have most control, you can grapple the dog and still have one hand free.
but your best bet is carry a knife
once in germany a dog bite one of the 15para lads , he pinned it and bite it back (being drunk at the time) poor sod had to come in for the rest of the week for anti-rabies shots - hurt more than the dog bite.

lulubel

Über Member
Some nasty stories here. I'm glad all those who have experienced dog attacks are on the road to recovery.

I'm lucky because I grew up with dogs, and I can read their moods pretty well. I can also produce a very deep-voiced "no" when a dog is coming towards me that generally stops them. (When I was in my teens/20s, my mother had 2 dogs who tended to fight a lot, and she got bitten once trying to separate them. My grandfather could break up a fight with just his voice, and I'm still totally in awe of that, and try to emulate it.) The very deep, low voice emulates the low growl that a dominant dog uses to warn another off, and it will work with most dogs.

If you come across a dog that's the dominant male in its own right, and isn't going to respond to that, it's better to avoid eye contact (eye contact is seen as a challenge), get off the bike, and walk slowly away, keeping the bike between you and the dog. This is like being the submissive dog. The vast majority of these dominant dogs will be protecting what they see as their territory, and once you leave their territory, they lose interest in you because you're no longer seen as a threat.

As for dogs that are actually attacking .... I hope to never be in that situation, but if it's just one dog, I'd like to think I'd have judged the situation well enough to be on the ground with the bike between me and the dog, so I could use the bike to hold it off as I moved away. If a dog actually got hold of my leg, I like to think I'd have enough self control to play dead and wait for it to lose interest.

Apparently, there is a dog scarer that works. Eileen Sutherland talks about it in her book about cycling from Britain to Bulgaria, and she and her husband call it the "dog dazer". They used it more than once on their trip, and every time they said it confused the dogs long enough for them to ride away safely.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I came across this the other day and thought i would share the video.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUV4JOhtXmc
.A guy goes for a bike ride and this happens. By the way check out what the dog owner says..

At least they were slightly apologetic about their looney dogs.:sad: If it'd been here the owners would probably have turned nasty even violent!
The bloke said that if he'd have remained silent they'd have eaten him, so that's why he was shouting like billyo! It looked terrifying!:ohmy:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have just read the stoy about the police officers and it was obvious someone did not do their homework. I am an ex police officer and so I am not police bashing, just stating a fact. The very least they should have had is full length shields to go in with. I worked in a support group and this is something that was practiced in training.

If something like this big dog comes at you and you can`t get away, the only thing to do is to get the bike between the two of you and try to get over a fence or wall or through somebody elses front door. It would happen so fast I doubt if you would have time to come up with an alternative plan.

Steve

Top Bottom