dog bite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davy

Hello all...this is my first post , I joined as I wanted to make folk aware of my experience these last few days. I am 76 years old and have been cycling for at least 60 years.
I am trying to remain calm in order to post this .

On Sunday last ( Sunday 9th July) I had ridden to a local park in Liverpool in order to look at a new park I had come across just recently. Whilst WALKING in the park I had stopped at an information board in order to read about the history etc. A dog off its lead came bounding over clearly looking for trouble. I tried to position my bike between me and the dog.....but as it was very lively I couldnt defend myself long enough for the owner and a park warden to reach me. I sustained a 2.5 inch bite to my upper thigh ( wearing loose shorts at the time )....I was given first aid , and obtained the owners details. I was too shaken to ride home so I rang for a lift. I went to the walking-in centre and was examined and prescribed antibiotics . I reported it to the police. On Tuesday I gave a statement to a policeman who called to my home. also provided photographs of my injuries.

Today I received a telephone call from the police to say officers had visited the dog ( 8 month old French pug) and deemed it not to be a dangerous animal. just a little boisterous as it was so young. The dog was removed from the owners and returned to the rescue centre for further training ......................BUT.............
They then said I was wrong to have tried to put the bike between me and the dog as this probably aggravated the animal even further and probably lead to to my injuries !!!!!!!!!! I should have remained still and calm and the dog would have calmed down .

whilst I agree with the dogs retraining etc....I am not happy because I was made to feel like it was my own fault....and my injuries ( physical not mental !) were not considered

a lesson for us all perhaps
VonWolf K9 spray is on its way to me
thanks for reading , hope this helps others

Last edited:

johnnyb47

Guru
WOW, What awful advice you was given.
If a dog is out of control it's going to be unpredictable and your first response is to defend yourself by putting your bike between yourself and the dog.
If you didn't ,the dog would still gone for you.

Hello all...this is my first post , I joined as I wanted to make folk aware of my experience these last few days. I am 76 years old and have been cycling for at least 60 years.
I am trying to remain calm in order to post this .

On Sunday last ( Sunday 9th July) I had ridden to a local park in Liverpool in order to look at a new park I had come across just recently. Whilst WALKING in the park I had stopped at an information board in order to read about the history etc. A dog off its lead came bounding over clearly looking for trouble. I tried to position my bike between me and the dog.....but as it was very lively I couldnt defend myself long enough for the owner and a park warden to reach me. I sustained a 2.5 inch bite to my upper thigh ( wearing loose shorts at the time )....I was given first aid , and obtained the owners details. I was too shaken to ride home so I rang for a lift. I went to the walking-in centre and was examined and prescribed antibiotics . I reported it to the police. On Tuesday I gave a statement to a policeman who called to my home. also provided photographs of my injuries.

Today I received a telephone call from the police to say officers had visited the dog ( 8 month old French pug) and deemed it not to be a dangerous animal. just a little boisterous as it was so young. The dog was removed from the owners and returned to the rescue centre for further training ......................BUT.............
They then said I was wrong to have tried to put the bike between me and the dog as this probably aggravated the animal even further and probably lead to to my injuries !!!!!!!!!! I should have remained still and calm and the dog would have calmed down .

whilst I agree with the dogs retraining etc....I am not happy because I was made to feel like it was my own fault....and my injuries ( physical not mental !) were not considered

a lesson for us all perhaps
VonWolf K9 stray is on its way to me
thanks for reading , hope this helps others

Ow. Get better soon. Clearly bad advice there from the copper. How did the bugger get through the bike?

OP
OP
davy

davy

Ow. Get better soon. Clearly bad advice there from the copper. How did the bugger get through the bike?

got round it to reach my rear thigh......... bruisin really coming out now

Attachments

• dog bite.jpg
    dog bite.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 6

classic33

Leg End Member
I've put the bike between me and dogs in the past. Even kicking the back end into them to try and put them off. Repeatedly if required.

Always found smaller dogs worse close up. The larger dog's, it's the weight behind them that I'm watching. Getting that weight stopped is the hard part.

Sharky

Guru
Found a few

IMG_20230712_221221.jpg

IMG_20230712_221938.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Davy,

I am a qualified police cycle skills trainer, and one of the techniques on the curriculum is...

...using your bicycle to "fend-off" animals.

You did exactly the right thing, and exactly what MIAS and IPMBA, the two main UK EMS cycle training organisations, teach officers to do.

The bottom line is being in charge of a dog dangerously out of control in a public place causing injury or fear of injury is a recordable crime. That the dog may be sweetness and light when the officer visits is irrelevant. That you tried to defend yourself is irrelevant. The offence is complete and victim blaming is unacceptable.

It's completely your call but I'd raise a complaint with dibble on the basis that the officer is making comments about matters in which he is not only wrong but in which they appear to have zero qualifications, and making irrelevant comments about the nature or the dogs character some days after the crime had already occurred.

Best of luck.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I would have done exactly the same as you did. You did nothing wrong!

Please don’t let this incident put you off getting out and about, cycling or walking. Dog attacks, although we hear more about them in the news, are still very rare.

Last edited:

Emanresu

The main issue is with whoever was in charge of the dog.

I've had a few dogs from Rescue centres and they are usually there because of some trait. It takes time and skill to be able to minimise the trait as it never really disappears. Your issue is with the owner and the owner's insurance company so would start there. The cost and aggravation of a Personal Injury claim might encourage them to think twice about not having the dog under control.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Sorry to hear this. People will never learn. At least you are at an age where you feel confident going to the police. i would urge you to take it as far as you can (and have the time/patience for). I was bitten badly by a neighbour's dog when I was 10; the stupid woman just told the dog off and even though I showed the huge bruise to my grandparents, nothing was done. People who allow their dogs to bite people should have no leniancy; the problem will continue until the police are pushed to pursue the crime properly (however that might turn out)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was very close to chucking a heavy MTB at a dog yesterday morning. Owner was no-where near the dog, a 'pit bull type monster', that, unprovoked, attacked a lovely little spaniel. Fortunately, the devil dog's owner got to the dog before the MTB was deployed.

I'm sick to the back teeth of dog's 'going for me' - it's every bloody day on my way to work. I received deep scratches to my calf some months back from a dog lunging at me.

My sister has to be careful walking her small spaniel, as the number of times other dogs have tried to eat him.

It's not the dog's fault, but we seem to have a lot of owners that can't be bothered to train them properly.

The owners pretend the dog isn't an issue !

Top Bottom