dog bite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
However well prepared you are, these things often happen so quickly that however you react it's not quick enough. Maybe talking to the mutt helps before it makes contact, probably not if it's on a mission. An old fashioned long pump or even a walking stick might deter it, but the most obvious thing is to get your bike, or anything, between you and those teeth. As you have the owner's details, presumably have an incident number, and witnesses, you ought to be in a strong position to pursue a complaint against the owner, even if not the police.

Sounds like a classic case of victim blaming. If the dog had not been off its lead (were there any signs re -all dogs must be on leads?), if it hadn't been aggressive (and surely there must have been previous clues to the owner of this), if you as a member of the public hadn't had the temerity to be there, quite legally going about your business...suppose you'd had a child with you, for example? It's obviously down to the owner and the dog, not the victim who has experienced the fear, the pain, and the inconvenience of having to be patched up and having to take antibiotics.

The fact that the dog was removed also helps. I imagine that there's nothing to stop that owner from going out and getting another dog the next day, regardless.

If you were a member of Cycling UK or other cycling organisations their insurance might be able to give you advice. If your home insurance covers cycles, it might be stretching it a bit, but perhaps, they could help too. Citizen's Advice can also be good, though they can be a bit variable
depending where you live. Some solicitors will give you a first session for free, for advice and to see if they can take it on.

It's a horrible experience. I hope you are healing OK. Don't let this rare occurrence put you off cycling.

icowden

Veteran
It's not the dog's fault, but we seem to have a lot of owners that can't be bothered to train them properly.
The owners pretend the dog isn't an issue !
My theory is it's the result of pandemic dog buying.

icowden

Veteran
OP, you do know it's your fault for riding a bike !
I've had 'the dog doesn't like bikes' ! FFS ! Like it's my fault.
Yep. I've had "the dog is scared of bicycle helmets" from the neighbour with the uncontrolled untrained aggressive golden Labradors.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Today I received a telephone call from the police to say .............
They then said I was wrong to have tried to put the bike between me and the dog as this probably aggravated the animal even further and probably lead to to my injuries !!!!!!!!!! I should have remained still and calm and the dog would have calmed down .
:welcome: As @Drago says, the constable (assumed) who said this is ill-informed - you should make sure this is fed back to the local police 'chain' and then chase it. to stop other victims hearing such cr@p. On what basis does this person opine that 'the dog would've calmed down'? There is merit in using voice as well as bike, and carrying a full length pump - see the late Richard Ballantine's New Bicycle Book (pp167-170 in my copy) - but he also says fairly "nine times out of ten, dogs are friendly".

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Sorry to hear about your horrible experience :sad:

Sounds like you got a very poor response from the police (although at least the removed the dog from its owner; who could have been part of the problem) - I'd urge you to submit a formal complaint.

While typically I love, and try to respect all animals by default; IMO as soon as something goes for me in this way it's going to become a football..

OP, you do know it's your fault for riding a bike !

I've had 'the dog doesn't like bikes' ! FFS ! Like it's my fault.

Been there too. Although in my case, I was sat on a wall outside a village hall eating a kit kat at the halfway point of a ride, with my bike leant up against said wall. Guy walks past with a small-ish dog of indeterminate breed on a lead. Dog sniffs my shoes, then spots the bike and goes ballistic.

So it does happen. Dogs hating bikes, that is. But kudos to this chap, his dog was under control, he was walking by the kerb, and we both saw the funny side of it.

But it would have been far less funny in other circumstances.

OP
OP
davy

davy

thank you all for your useful comments and SUPPORT........as I said I am 76 years , and feeling a bit vunnerable and yes my confidence has taken a set back too........BUT.....I am of the mind that this isnt going to stop my activities , but it does need working on...which I shall do. I have put in a request for the final police call to ring once more so now that my thoughts are collected properly I can again get the "facts" as they see them and argue my case should i disagree.. ....as mentioned above , I would like to think that unfortunate others , get a more realistic response in future .

I was also sent contact details for Victim Support , which I have followed up and will make use of their advice and guidance

My spray from VonWolf has arrived today ...so ready for an outing at the weekend....probably avoiding parks etc , for the time being ...whilst I get back into it a little more

thanks once again
Great community here
Bestest Davy

OP
OP
davy

davy

Been there too. Although in my case, I was sat on a wall outside a village hall eating a kit kat at the halfway point of a ride, with my bike leant up against said wall. Guy walks past with a small-ish dog of indeterminate breed on a lead. Dog sniffs my shoes, then spots the bike and goes ballistic.

So it does happen. Dogs hating bikes, that is. But kudos to this chap, his dog was under control, he was walking by the kerb, and we both saw the funny side of it.

But it would have been far less funny in other circumstances.

what surprised me in my case is how the owner KNEW that his mutt didnt like bikes ....had fido done it before ...if so !!!!!! ?????

OP
OP
davy

davy

The last time I had the [owner of a loose dog - Sorry, he doesn't like bikes] encounter on my local cycle track, I asked the owner had they walked all the way from Stupidville, or did they drive part-way?"

I didn't go down well :laugh:

get response I will nick that line for future use LoL

OP
OP
davy

davy

However well prepared you are, these things often happen so quickly that however you react it's not quick enough. Maybe talking to the mutt helps before it makes contact, probably not if it's on a mission. An old fashioned long pump or even a walking stick might deter it, but the most obvious thing is to get your bike, or anything, between you and those teeth. As you have the owner's details, presumably have an incident number, and witnesses, you ought to be in a strong position to pursue a complaint against the owner, even if not the police.

Sounds like a classic case of victim blaming. If the dog had not been off its lead (were there any signs re -all dogs must be on leads?), if it hadn't been aggressive (and surely there must have been previous clues to the owner of this), if you as a member of the public hadn't had the temerity to be there, quite legally going about your business...suppose you'd had a child with you, for example? It's obviously down to the owner and the dog, not the victim who has experienced the fear, the pain, and the inconvenience of having to be patched up and having to take antibiotics.

The fact that the dog was removed also helps. I imagine that there's nothing to stop that owner from going out and getting another dog the next day, regardless.

If you were a member of Cycling UK or other cycling organisations their insurance might be able to give you advice. If your home insurance covers cycles, it might be stretching it a bit, but perhaps, they could help too. Citizen's Advice can also be good, though they can be a bit variable
depending where you live. Some solicitors will give you a first session for free, for advice and to see if they can take it on.

It's a horrible experience. I hope you are healing OK. Don't let this rare occurrence put you off cycling.

thank you....yes those "what ifs" did occur to me too....we have 4 grandchildren and mind them a lot ( esp. in school holidays )
I am in contact now with Victim Support ...and have called on them for advice for the future eventualities
I did contact a "No Win , No Fee" solicitor , but TBH the contract was loaded in their favour , and watching Consumer advice on TV I dropped the idea as it could well result in my being in debt if things went a little wrong.

The dog was been taken from the owners and returned to the rescue centre for more training ,,,hopefully a proper job this time !??!?!

thanks

Top Bottom