Dog attack.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Ok you've convinced me, I would happily carry a 50 ml can - trouble is it appears from the web-site that they have to be ordered in cases of 24 units at a cost of £289.20 (plus Vat).
What you need to do is start a thread asking for other dog-fearing folk to club together and get a case between you......

OP
OP
sittingbull

sittingbull

Veteran
It also appears to have a 12 month shelf life.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
You have to hold those cans perfectly upright or butane comes out. I caused a helluva fireball once and the can was only at about 20o off upright!

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from my bowels

Octet

Veteran
You have to hold those cans perfectly upright or butane comes out. I caused a helluva fireball once and the can was only at about 20o off upright!

Hehe, Youtube is full of videos doing the same sort of thing... I can't say I would condone it though :P

Gary E

Veteran
It was an accident! Honest!

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from my bowels
Yeah but on the plus side- a flame thrower would definitely give the dog something to think about :laugh:

soulful dog

Veteran
Commiserations to your friend sittingbull, that must have been nasty and really scary.

Bite back spray isn't any good because as you've already discovered, it's not readily available. You can buy them individually from police-supplies.co.uk, but it states "Conditions of sale restricted to Police, Emergency Services, County Councils, Animal Welfare Officers, the Royal Mail, Utility Workers, Veterinary Practitioners and Bailiffs"

Best thing to do is stop and put the bike between you and the dog, stand tall and bellow at it to stop. If it's a real concern for you, try as stewie suggests, keep an extra water bottle handy and add some washing up liquid to it, then squirt that at them.

I like dogs, but am wary of ones like staffies because of the damage they can do if they do bite you. I know a couple of people who have had to get their dogs PTS after being attacked, one by a staffie, the other by a bull terrier. Incidentally, although I've worked as a both a postie and a meter reader, I've never once been bitten or attacked by a dog. A cat once caught me a cracker as I was putting mail through a door, cats - the silent assassin!

Bite back spray isn't any good because as you've already discovered, it's not readily available. You can buy them individually from police-supplies.co.uk, but it states "Conditions of sale restricted to Police, Emergency Services, County Councils, Animal Welfare Officers, the Royal Mail, Utility Workers, Veterinary Practitioners and Bailiffs"

http://www.vonwolf.co.uk/shop/product.php/10

They seem to sell it individually with no restrictions? I haven't tried the full purchase, as don't want any but went up o the point of payment on their website without too many problems.

I would find it strange if the sale is restricted to official capacities only, as it's nothing illegal - and Cubist said earlier, spray it at a human and it's vaguely pleasant!

I've seen it used once effectively, aiding a quick escape from the compound that a 'dangerous dog' was in, allowing the officers to kit up with snaffles etc to go back and get it.

stewie griffin

Über Member
On my regular local route I go along a bit of dirt track with house/gardens each side, some time ago a dog that looked like a pointer type hunting dog was in the track, sure enough as I passed it started running after me, I don't think it was really intent on biting, it probably thought it was fun but I wasn't going to wait & find out, a squirt from my bidon (that I had ready) stopped it.
A little while later the same dog moved back a little as I went past, again I had my bidon ready but didn't need it, some dogs are smart & I don't feel bad making one wary of cyclists.
I also have dogs & would never want to harm one. If you don't think you have a good enough aim while cycling you could combine getting off the bike, using the bike as a shield while spraying the dog with your bidon, you can probably distance yourself by walking if the dog hasn't already retreated.

Raging Squirrel

just remember that it's usually the dog's owner that is at fault and not the dog itself. If the owner has raised the dog to be aggressive, then that's how it'll be. Dogs are taught to be aggressive, they don't suddenly decide to be like that. Pit bull type dogs have a bad stigma around them. The same as Staffordshire Bull Terriers, which by the way are 1 of only 2 "safe" dogs around children. All these instances of vicious Staffies are because some dickhead thinks it's funny to have a dog for defensive reasons and will teach it to get agitated.

I'm sure only English Putbull's "lock on" as they have a mechanism in their jaw, other dogs are just too strong to make let go. The best way to deal with it if it's clamped onto your leg is to grab it's collar (if it is wearing one) and twist it as hard as you can, basically choking the dog and it will automatically release, and then you just try your hardest to keep hold of it til the owner or someone passing by can stop and help.

Raging Squirrel

Might be an urban myth, but I do recall being told, that pulling a dogs front legs apart can do them serious physical harm. Fortunately I have never been in the situation where I would need to test it.

the force needed to try this would be in excess of what you'd be able to achieve with a pitbull chomping your limb down, not to mention it'd agitate the dog further and make it bite down harder

sidevalve

Über Member
FWIW the idea of pulling the dogs legs apart is dangerous cack. Just try holding the legs of some friendly pooch sometime and see where your throat is relative to it's teeth if you need proof. If it's on your leg you MAY be able to get a grip but these types are VERY strong and you will be losing blood fast. Secondly if the dog IS a pitbull then as a breed they are used to withstanding pain and have massive protective musclemass around the throat and neck area. The teeth are designed to HOLD the prey so DO NOT try to pull away if they clamp on. Beating at the beast will only make it wilder and that includes the owner [if for any reason they try to help].
If you are in terminal danger the main vulnerable spot is probably the femural artery [inside the thigh].
As said the best tactic,assuming you can't just ride off into traffic, is probably to dismount [and remove the chase element, which will solve the problem 99% of the time] stand behind the bike and try the NO [or similar command. Spraying with whatever is fine IF you have it to hand but sods law says on the day you need it you wont. If non of this works you have a very dangerous dog which is either mad or has been trained to be agresive towards people [not a dogs normal prey].

Top Bottom