Dog friendly burglar alarm advice please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
We're looking for a new alarm and need one to be compatible with our new hound, a quick search shows options from £100 to £1000, but does anyone have any advice that they can offer me?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Down here a dog is a burglar alarm.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
We used to have ours set with a couple of different zones, one with all sensors on ( contacts and pir's for when the house was empty ) and one zone with just the door/ window contacts on so the dogs could have the run of the house. Think most modern systems can be set up like that.

keithmac

Guru
We used to have ours set with a couple of different zones, one with all sensors on ( contacts and pir's for when the house was empty ) and one zone with just the door/ window contacts on so the dogs could have the run of the house. Think most modern systems can be set up like that.

We do the same, Wireless alarm.

You can buy pet safe room sensors now I believe.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone, we've currently got wired pirs that can be individually disabled but as they're over 15 years old I was thinking of getting a new alarm system anyway.

Are wireless ones properly reliable nowadays?

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Down here a dog is a burglar alarm.
I wanted something that would make a casual burglar change his mind the moment he set eyes on it but my son struggles with balance, so it has to be something he can handle on a lead as well.

bruce1530

Guru
A pal used to install alarms. He used to take "normal" PIRs, which were installed at ceiling/cornice level and were sensitive "downwards", and installed them upside-down at about 4' above the floor. His theory (and sales pitch and USP) was that this would provide cover for the top of the room, but pets could walk underneath.

Don't know how well it worked, but he doesn't do alarms any more....

keithmac

Guru
We've had our wireless one for 10 years and it's been great.

I suppose if you already have all the wiring it would just be a case of swapping out sensors and control panel / bell box for another wired one.

newts

Veteran
We've had a Texecom system for a couple of years, mix of wired & wireless sensors (pet friendly pirs).
Wireless uses mesh system for connection & not had any issues.

Most modern PIR sensors have a pet setting - I believe it just disables the lower half of the sensor so it doesn't 'look down' as much. Or just put thin masking tape across the bottom of the sensors you have, a bit of trial and error will reveal just how much needs covering, I reckon 10mm would be more than enough on mine (and masking tape is the same colour as the cases these days...)

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Just get an alarm box and screw it to the wall outside. Everyone will think you have an alarm, but you don't have to worry about the dog setting it off, or an annual maintenance contract where some bloke turns up in a van, fiddles in the shoe cupboard with a large box on the wall, then gives you a bill for £85. But when the thing won't stop going off they don't answer the phone for ages and when they do they say it is a user error and want another £50 call out plus parts. (I just got them to disconnect it and haven't used it since)

Top Bottom