Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Flush it down the loo

• Bury it

• Use a special dog toilet

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Crackle

punkypossum said:
Why are you not allowed to flush cat poo?

Because cat poo has something else in it, which is not killed in the treatment process and also because a lot of people flush it with the litter on it, which is also not dealt with by the sewage process. I'll see if I can find the link I came across detailing it.

TVC

Glad someone raised this.

So a quick question to dog owners, when you put your dog poo in the little plastic bag, why do you then hang the bag from a fence post or throw it into a hedge? How is this better than leaving the turd on the ground?

Night Train

Maker of Things
The Velvet Curtain said:

So a quick question to dog owners, when you put your dog poo in the little plastic bag, why do you then hang the bag from a fence post or throw it into a hedge? How is this better than leaving the turd on the ground?
As a dog owner this annoys the hell out of me too, as does letting your dog poo outside front doors and leaving it or sending your dog up driveways to poo in someones garden or path or thinking it is ok to leave it if it is hidden in the grass.:wacko:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

The Velvet Curtain said:

I've always wondered why people don't clean up after their dogs. I suspect those who don't won't answer your question though.

punkypossum said:
Why are you not allowed to flush cat poo?

This is from an American website, hence EPA reference. I also think that water treatment can vary quite widely, so you have to know what your local treatment works is like. I suspect living in a town is slightly different to living rurally. That said though, virtually every disposal method I've read can be criticised. Best advice is to look what your local council website recommends as they'll know what happens to their water and waste.

Now, here's the scoop on cat poop. EPA brochures and a variety of other publications say you can flush it down the toilet, minus the litter. However, research suggests that the eggs of Toxoplasma gondii, a parasite found in cat poop, may survive the wastewater treatment process and contaminate waterways. While Toxoplasma rarely affects healthy people, it can cause defects and brain damage in babies whose mothers were exposed when pregnant. Brain disease can also develop in people with compromised immune systems. In addition, Toxoplasma has been shown to harm sea otters and may affect other wildlife as well. As the eggs can last for up to a year in soil, burying cat poop is also problematic.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
The Velvet Curtain said:
So a quick question to dog owners, when you put your dog poo in the little plastic bag, why do you then hang the bag from a fence post or throw it into a hedge?

Rather like saying "as a cyclist, why do cycle on the pavement and never stop for red lights?"?

Bigtallfatbloke

I will tell you what not to do with it...don't do as many drivers do, which is bag it when they are in public view like a park, then chuck it out of the window on a quiet country lane on the way back home....plastic bags of dog shoot will probably survive to be dug up on Time team 3085.

TVC

gambatte said:
Rather like saying "as a cyclist, why do cycle on the pavement and never stop for red lights?"?

Because I'm ignorant, arrogant and selfish. That I think answers both questions. :wacko:

Gromit

Über Member
I used to work as a Ranger on a country park, we were always p****d off with people leaving their dog waste in the bags on pavements, or seeing them dangling out of trees. We didn't have dog or litter bins because they encouraged littering, our policy was to get people to take it home, or just kick the poo in the bushes , leaving it to decompose normally.

Mind you I never understood the mentality of some people though, you come to a beautiful place like the Elan Valley, leave your dirty incontinence pants and nappies on the side of the road to spoil the scenery for other people. Grrr!! :wacko:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Public field near us has one of those dog poo bins on a pole. to make the bin about 3-4 ft off the ground.

Couple of years back, near the end of November, someone used fireworks and blew it apart.....

Top Bottom