Dog trailers...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
This might be the completely wrong place to post this, but there is no "Pets and cycling" sub forum. My wife and I have just gotten a dog, a gorgeous staffie/lab cross. As we like to go off on all day cycling adventures, both at home and camping, we thought it would be nice if we can take Roxie along, stopping along the way for walks, etc. Does anyone have experience with bike trailers for dogs? I've seen a few online that look similar to child trailers, just without a seat.
Thanks

Yup, Doggy Ride are good, but not cheap. Had one for our old dog, recommended.
Do check gumtree, ebay, etc, as bargains do happen.
Only paid £50 for an as-new one.

Ice2911

Über Member
Bought on eBay second hand (£50ish but I had to collect), our dog is a bit of a wimp so getting him used to this slowly. It's in the living room at the moment and he goes in to find treats, beginning to choose to go and lay down in it. Next step attached to the bike. This is because my wife has just started cycling and doesn't like leaving the dog for long periods of time. If you get one I'd be interested to know how you get in.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 33

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Little Muffin, the good looking one in the avatar picture, without the hat, used to trundle along in his dog trailer quite well. He did need a bit of acclimatisation to it, done by short rides with a comfy cushion mat on the floor. It wasn't long before he was doing 11 mile rides without distress. After all, there was a doggy treat coming his way at the stops too.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've a friend who's a vet and he used to take his terrier Alfie out mountain biking. On the climbs and flats Alfie would belt along in the group, getting a fantastic workout. On fast stuff like flat or downhill tarmac Alfie would get picked up by the scruff of his neck then hefted into the crook of my friend's arm where he would ride, tongue lolling and ears pricked up as my friend rode one-handed. When the pace slowed Alfie would be deployed again like a bomb dropped from under an aircraft wing, his legs already going as he hit the ground, a spurt of grass from his claws as he gained traction and off he would go, running like mad to get ahead of the group. He really fitted in well with the cycling club.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've a friend who's a vet and he used to take his terrier Alfie out mountain biking. On the climbs and flats Alfie would belt along in the group, getting a fantastic workout. On fast stuff like flat or downhill tarmac Alfie would get picked up by the scruff of his neck then hefted into the crook of my friend's arm where he would ride, tongue lolling and ears pricked up as my friend rode one-handed. When the pace slowed Alfie would be deployed again like a bomb dropped from under an aircraft wing, his legs already going as he hit the ground, a spurt of grass from his claws as he gained traction and off he would go, running like mad to get ahead of the group. He really fitted in well with the cycling club.
You beat me to it - I was going to say that some breeds of dog are quite capable of running along with cyclists (in suitable places, naturally).

A friend of mine announced that she was bringing her dog with us on our mountain biking holiday in the Highlands. I thought that he would hold us back but he was actually fit enough to run with us all day. We did one ride that involved 10+ miles of roadside cyclepaths. For that part of our ride he was on a long lead with a shoulder strap attached to my friend. The dog was well-trained and just ran safely alongside her. Once we got offroad he was set free and was tearing about all over the place. We did at least 15 miles of forest trails, but he probably did 25 miles with all the extra scent trail-following he was doing. When we got back to our caravan he had something to eat, then wandered over to his basket and conked out for about 10 hours! :laugh:

Carrie and Buster on ride in Highlands.jpg

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Haven't I seen that dog on a record label?
He does look like the His Master's Voice dog, Nipper, doesn't he!

His_Master's_Voice dog Nipper.jpg

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?

I have a 22kg staffie/lab cross. I don't think that will work. Although I'm sure she would love it

Kajjal

Guru
Our Westie is very enthusiastic but has no concept of where the bike is and keeps cutting across in front of wheels. It would escape from anything short of a Hannibal lecter trolley and start causing trouble.

Hopefully you have more success :smile:

Nebulous

Guru
We have one of these, though it says currently unavailable. It was pricy, we bought it for a family holiday, when he was a puppy. Being able to add the front wheel and use it as a buggy was helpful. We even had it on the London underground (outside peak times) We rarely use it now. Occasionally we go to a railway line cycle track, put him in the trailer to get there, then he runs alongside on the track, then trailer him up to get home again.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
My late springer, who is about the same weight, used to go in a veg box on the back of my Surly Big Dummy. I need to find the photos. You’re only down the road if you need to test ride a Dummy (small)

I also once had a staffie/Dalmatian Cross. That was a good dog.

Top Bottom