Dog tricks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Etty will catch a peanut at 5 yards.

She also does a great Parkinson impression.

Brains

Legendary Member
My now sadly departed stepfather taught a number of Gun Dogs over the years, all Springer Spaniels.
There was one that actually did understand a lot of language,

Sit
Lie
Stop
Bark
Silence
left
right
away
back
get in there - (go back to that impenetrable thicket and look again for a fallen bird, usually 10 feet up a tree)
Cats ! (permission granted to go loopy)
Rabbit ! (Look at ground level)
Pheasant ! (Look for low slow bird)
Snipe ! (Look for high fast bird)
Car
Bed
Home
Dinner
Walkies
Stay
Heel
Lead

We decided that she had a vocabulary of about 60 words
In addition she understood where to be in relation to what the human was doing
She knew how to open lever doors and so could let herself out of most rooms
and if she came back wet and tired would drag her bed to the warmest place in the house (usually the Aga)
The only downside was she was not keen on children (except for lunch)

Many other dogs followed her, but she was the only one that got to that level

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Etty will catch a peanut at 5 yards.

A dogs ability to catch is an amazing thing. A dogs brain can do complex mathematic equations that tells it where to put its mouth in order to catch an object flying on a ballistic curve. As Douglas Adams wrote on the subject, calling the phenomena 'instinct' merely gives it a name, it does not explain it

Sandra6

Veteran
Mine just looks at you if you ask him to do anything more than lie there generally being a dog.
He will chase a ball, pick it up and occasionally almost bring it back to you, but mostly he just leaves it somewhere so that you have to go and get it yourself.
He can give a paw, but he mostly just looks at you as if to say "why?"
Same with rolling over.
He just doesn't see the point.
He quite likes barking at other dogs though.

U

User33236

I don't make my other family members perform stupid tricks for my own entertainment so why would I make the dog? She comes back eventually when called and sits when awaiting a snack. That's it. If I'd I wanted a performing animal I'd have bought a chimpanzee. Which is illegal so.
My dogs have never been trained to do 'stupid tricks' either but, as large animals, have been trained to follow control and obedience commands which is quite different.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
As you can see from my list, useful obedience commands are ingrained, and my boy responds to the spoken word immediately, utterly, and without hesitation. A complete level of immediate, unquestioning obedience and response above what most people manage.

Only then did I teach him the other useful stuff, and to be fair there have been no incidents involving ISIS or Al Qaeda since he learned them, and you'll note that Osama was found cowering in Pakistan because he was too scared to hide in South Northants.

We got our dog from a rescue home, as quite a young-ish and very scatty pup, and we took him to training classes for the usual sit / stay / "no" sort of training, plus getting him accustomed to other dogs, and to being examined as he would be at a vets.

I was determined to train him to "shake paws" and one evening I got him to do it.

Then I called my wife and daughter in and said "watch this".

When he successfully repeated the trick, first time, they both yelled so excitedly that the dog nearly hit the ceiling! It was a wonder that he ever shook paws again......

It must be 8 years since he took his final trip to the vets at age 16, and I still miss him.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
We got our dog from a rescue home, as quite a young-ish and very scatty pup, and we took him to training classes for the usual sit / stay / "no" sort of training, plus getting him accustomed to other dogs, and to being examined as he would be at a vets.

I was determined to train him to "shake paws" and one evening I got him to do it.

Then I called my wife and daughter in and said "watch this".

When he successfully repeated the trick, first time, they both yelled so excitedly that the dog nearly hit the ceiling! It was a wonder that he ever shook paws again......

It must be 8 years since he took his final trip to the vets at age 16, and I still miss him.
:hugs:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Millie, my 5 yr.old collie will,
on command give you her left or right paw as asked for,
twirl in either direction as signed by my hand movement,
roll over in either direction as asked for,
sit, or go flat as asked for,
Wait,
Dance on her hind legs ,
jump over things to the command of over,
go under things like gates or fences to the command under
Do a high five,
Beg,
Is very good at agility classes.

You can teach a Border Collie to do almost anything, they really love to learn things.

Salar

A fish out of water
One of the annoying things our dog does is to climb up on the sofa ,then deliberately drop his ball down the back of the sofa in the gap between the wall.
He then sits there with a sort of smile on his face, watching us oldies crawling around on the floor trying to get the ball.

He also drops his ball over the fence, just to see it bounce down the steps and roll down the drive and on to the road, while he watches muggins go and collect it.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
One of the annoying things our dog does is to climb up on the sofa ,then deliberately drop his ball down the back of the sofa in the gap between the wall.
He then sits there with a sort of smile on his face, watching us oldies crawling around on the floor trying to get the ball.

He also drops his ball over the fence, just to see it bounce down the steps and roll down the drive and on to the road, while he watches muggins go and collect it.
Ever feel like youre being played?

Last edited:
Top Bottom