Dog tricks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
What tricks does you dog do? Lemmy is word obedient to...

Sit
Cross (the road)
Hup (jump a fence or stile)
Here (return to me)
Stop (stops by my side but does not sit)
Paw
Guard (stays next to either Mrs D or baby D as indicated, and will not leave them)
Gis a kiss (a single lick of the chin)
High five (high fives me)
Bang bang (falls down dead)
Death of Nelson (takes about 10 seconds to 'die')
Commies (growls)
ISIS (runs up and down the house like a loon)
Osama! (barks)
Totty! (Stands with his paws on the windowsill looking out)

So what does yours do?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Mine can do simple sums....or so my gullible older sister believes....

I've trained him to bark when I use a certain tone of voice, and to stop when I say "clever boy". So if I say "Whats 3 add 2" in that tone, he starts to bark, and when he gets to 5 I tell him he's clever. She still hasn't worked it out, but her hubby did after about 10 minutes.....

That's quite a list, I can't compete. I taught mine to find things using 'away' or 'here' followed by 'find it' when he gets close. It's a bit like hot and cold, the trainer was too crap to get him to understand left and right. We used tennis balls for that, the trouble is he freelances now and I've got a houseful of mankey old tennis balls that no other dog was able to find.

TrishE

Über Member
Bonnie doesn't do tricks, she doesn't even sit or walk to heel on a lead, but she is exceptionally well behaved and obedient in that she comes straight back to me when I call her, she follows me off lead and waits when I say. She wears a harness with a lead attached to my waist and runs alongside the bike in traffic, turns either direction and stops at the same time as the bike. Only time we get stared at is at traffic lights she does so well waiting. When walking or cycling she knows keep going so she'll pass people and dogs.

She knows hup and she's brilliant at bringing the ball back, she loves camping, going on the train and is a lovely companion bless her but I've only taught her the commands I need her to do :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sabor was good at 'Pigeon' if I opened the back door and said it he run up to the birdfeeder barking, got rid of the 'air rats' nicely.
He was also taught to take treats from the hand without touching your fingers and to 'beg for scraps' by laying down and facing away whilst we were eating.
He also never ever made a 'mess' in the house, but only because I let him outside very regularly and never expected him to 'hold himself' all night so if I got up for the loo during the night I made sure he was let out to toilet too and praised him when ever he 'went' in the garden, admittedly he was 14 weeks when we got him (He'd been returned to the breeder as 'destructive' but only because he'd been left on his own all day and like any GSD had got bored so he chewed stuff, we gave him plenty of 'chewy toys' so broke that habit)

Globalti

Legendary Member
When I was a child I thought I was a dog. The GP asked me how I was feeling and I replied: "Ruff!"

U

User33236

Wouldn't really call many of those 'tricks'. More obedience.

Not had a pet dog for many years but my German Shepherd was very obedient having been trained since being a pup. I used to get her is sit and stay in the corner of the kitchen whilst I prepared her food and then simply say 'ok' when I finished and put in down for her.

One time just as I was finishing up the telephone went and I must have placed it down without giving an 'ok'. After finishing the telephone call I sat down to watch a movie on TV. When it finally ended a couple of hours later I headed through to make myself a coffee and there was the dog, still sat in the corner of the kitchen, staring at her dinner!

Last edited by a moderator:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My Jackshit sits up and begs for food and attention. He's the first dog i've had that can do this. I've been told it's possible if they have a tail,which enables them to balance He's the first dog i've had that's had a tail. I've timed his longest sit up and beg at 45 seconds.

redvision95

Proffesional Biskit Eater Upper
My Bailey is a Ex General Purpose Security K9. So pretty much does everything we could want him or need him to do.

Sits on command.
Lies down on command.
Stays in a spot on command and won't move unless I'm being attacked or tell him to watch my back (at that point he'll sit behind me)
Barks on command and shuts up when I tell him to.
Circles a person on command.
Fetch or bites on command.
Releases on command.

Then he does all of the boring stuff like roll over, fetches mail, Give paw, Hgh five, play dead, get shot and I'm currently teaching him to fetch tools, Though I'm not sure how we are going to master fetching the right size spanner :laugh:

Top Bottom