Doggie Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
No, this isn't an invitation to go dogging. :rolleyes:

I just got a phone call from the Mrs. that she has been offered a Shi-Tzu dog as the owners are ill and cannot look after it. Tbh I had not even thought of having a dog and I am mostly anti but I see a lot of dog owners post on here so, should I? And if we do, what should we be considering? I've got two kids so they have to be child friendly, etc.

I would add that practically half my son's class have rushed out and bought Cocker-Poo's (or similar) over the last year. My wife has previous with toy dogs (Yorkies & family Scottie breeding connections) but I thought I had put all that behind us. I would be more interested in a mongrel or sheep dog (not Old English but working dog type).

Any constructive posts welcome, even if it is 'don't'.

don't do it. you have to walk the every day so less time for riding. you have to clean up their shoot everytime you go out, you'll have dog hairs all over the house and when it rains they'll make a mess of your carpets.

don't do it.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
trustysteed said:
don't do it. you have to walk the every day so less time for riding. you have to clean up their shoot everytime you go out, you'll have dog hairs all over the house and when it rains they'll make a mess of your carpets.

don't do it.

but think of the unconditional love they give :rolleyes:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
How can you resist?...
102untj.jpg

MichaelM

Guru
Have a good think about it first and try to make your mind up before going to see the dog - before you're taken in by the cuddly lovely little thing.

There are so many dogs in rescue, and so many on their 3rd/4th 5th home - no wonder they have problems being passed around.

I'm going to assess a dog later this week. The current owners have had him approx 6 months, and they got him from a rescue. This dog has been bred, been at it's first owners, been in rescue, 2nd owners, and is now being given up on again and may end up in a kennels or with a fosterer before finding a home..... he's18 months of age.

Do it if it's for you, but have a good think first.

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
numbnuts said:
my sister has two shoot-zoos bloody lap dogs

But can they make the tea? :thumbsup:

I think I've got a battle on me hands; she's going to see the dog this afternoon. Next thing I'll know, I'll be sleeping in the spare room.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm all for dogs - I love dogs - but I can't stand fluffy rats. How to tell the difference:

Dogs go 'woof'!

Fluffy rats go 'yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap yap....'

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
ChrisKH said:
No, this isn't an invitation to go dogging. :thumbsup:

I just got a phone call from the Mrs. that she has been offered a Shi-Tzu dog as the owners are ill and cannot look after it. Tbh I had not even thought of having a dog and I am mostly anti but I see a lot of dog owners post on here so, should I? And if we do, what should we be considering? I've got two kids so they have to be child friendly, etc.

To be honest Chris, Haven't you answered your own question? You're either a dog lover or you're not. If you are mostly anti, why on earth would you want one? :biggrin: Similarly, I'm certainly anti-cat so there's no way I'd want one.

There's too many unwanted dogs in this country, mostly because the 'owners' get bored or can't be arsed looking after them. I'd hazard a guess that not all the cockerpoos you mention will remain with their respective owners for long term.

No breed can be classed as 100% 'child friendly' either - training and sensible precautions are the answer - imo anyway.

Good luck and either way, I hope the little shitzy gets a loving home. :biggrin:

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
The only advice i would give is to consider how it would limit your freedom to do things at short notice. When we go on holiday ours goes to a house rather than a kennel, it costs about £130 a week.
If we go sanywhere at the weekend we have to be back after a few hours so limits big days out.
Insurance can be pricey.

Still love them though.

HeyWayne

I'm in a similar boat to you dude. Our 17 month old loves dogs - he goes crazy whenever he sees them (though he's not so fussed with fluffy rats) and shouts "doggie". We've looked at rescue dogs, but there are none that are deemed suitable for a family such as ours. I think we're therefore either looking at puppies (which is always a good thing :thumbsup:) or knocking the idea on the head.

Dogs are great.

tyred

Legendary Member
I love dogs.

If you have the time and the inclination to look after it, I would say go for it. A dog really is the most loyal friend you will ever have.

Top Bottom