Dogs as they used to be

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I don't own a dog, but my interest was piqued by this article.

In particular, the Bull Terrier used to look like this
article-2519314-19E646D500000578-929_634x396.jpg

And now looks like this
article-2519314-19E646DA00000578-235_634x426.jpg

Now, I'm not a 'dog person', so apologies if I'm way off the mark, but to me the first picture looks like a rather handsome creature, while the second looks rather odd to say the least.

What do other people think?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Yes its an ongoing problem which the Kennel Club is trying to redress as regards to breeds that have been (unintentionally) bred to be unhealthy/have health problems etc.

Its the poor dogs I feel sorry for, not the dumb animals that have caused this problem in the first place, i.e. us!

Sara_H

Guru
It's horrific what selective beeding had done to some breeds of dog, with health problems actively bred into dogs for the sake of appearance.

The Kennel Club could afford to be more proactive in reversing the trend, but I don't suppose it suits its purpose to do so.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Yes its a contentious issue with a lot of breeders and owners, and although the Kennel Club could undoubtedly do more in changing breed standards, it still isn't something that is going to disappear over night (there are too many idiots out there who will prefer the old unhealthy 'version' of a breed).

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It's the same dog. just with a 'roman' nose... same piggy inset eyes, strong jaw and thick neck and shoulders. It's Labradors, German Shepherds for hip dysplasia and bone splints, bulldogs and boxers for underbite/jaw/breathing, and any 'toy' dog that I feel sorry for.... though the Kennel Club are all inbred anyway.

asterix

Comrade Member
My French neighbour down the road has a magnificent German Shepherd called Hector. It is a very different animal to many that I have seen in the UK with their narrow under-sized hind quarters and over developed front-ends. It also has a lovely temperament.

My experience of the breed here (3 dogs I have 'taken over' near the end of their short lives from owners who wanted 'new ones') is that they suffer a lot from breeding for show with weak hips and bone problems as Archie-tect says. Suffer being the right word.

U

User6179

I don't own a dog, but my interest was piqued by this article.

In particular, the Bull Terrier used to look like this
article-2519314-19E646D500000578-929_634x396.jpg

And now looks like this
article-2519314-19E646DA00000578-235_634x426.jpg

Now, I'm not a 'dog person', so apologies if I'm way off the mark, but to me the first picture looks like a rather handsome creature, while the second looks rather odd to say the least.

What do other people think?

The reason is cross breeding !! :ohmy:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfjU-1dZ1NcrFe9MudO1YvFfBu6vkeduJyZGrjQRt0JrFd1M7K.jpg

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Have you ever seen a more ridiculous dog in your life... next door neighbour had 2 which my daughter thought were sheep. Their fur is so modified to curl they shiver all the time, paws are being bred smaller + they stand on the points of their toes so the nails click on any hard surfaces, whip-like bald tails... + they are nervous and charmless. ['If you don't like them just say so...']
Unknown.jpeg

Top Bottom