Dogs on public land

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My local council have put notices up in cemeteries and parks in the borough asking the public what they think about government proposals to stop dog owners from using public land to exercise their dogs.
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/site/scripts/news_article.php?newsID=1210
If there's a ban then where can we go to exercise our dogs? There are plenty of fields around here but farmers aren't exactly dog friendly and not many will don their wellington boots and go that far. The pavements will become the new dog walking areas, with dog mess increasing on public highways. I know dog mess is a problem in parks but is a ban reasonable?

martint235

Dog on a bike
They should be asked to provide an area of the park that's specifically for dog walkers. It still becomes unpleasant though with a number of dogs in a smaller area. Or complain to your council and organise some kind of petition, I'm guessing there's a fair few people with dogs in that area.

However laziness in dog owners is something I detest so particularly when it comes to larger dogs they should be getting their a**e in gear and getting out into the fields. I've never had an issue with farmers around Nelson so long as you can demonstrate you've got control over the dog.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
A ban is reasonable in my opinion. Kids are less likely to roll around in the rough and tumble of play on public highways than they are on public land so are less likely to come into contact with dog faeces if dogs are banned from the parks/public ground. The compromise suggested by @martint235 is a sensible one and is something that you need to suggest in your response to the consultation.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
There are no "government proposals to stop dog owners from using public land to exercise their dogs.". What has happened is that parliament have updated laws regarding antisocial behaviour. It is the local government that is planning to use this with regard to dogs. The Act of Parliament can be found here

You mean the PSPO stuff, i.e. this stuff

The guidance considers its use in relation to dogs and alcohol:
In relation to dogs and their owners, a PSPO could, for example:
exclude dogs from designated areas (e.g. a children’s play area in a park);
require dog faeces to be picked up by owners;
require dogs to be kept on leads;
restrict the number of dogs that can be walked by one person at any one time; and

So not all public spaces and not even all of a public space or just some conditions in a public space i.e. nothing to get excited about and usually sensibly executed. Like near me, you can't take dogs into the kids playground, well duh....of course not. Or beach bans such as already exist or completely overwhelmed dog walkers who can't possibly control the eight dogs they've got. All seems OK to me, though there's probably a council which goes OTT somewhere. A lot decide they haven't got the money to enforce a ban and so don't do it anyhow, again my council decided this about one part of a beach.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Dogs on leads in public spaces - fine.
Dogs "one word from me and it does as it likes" charging around loose in public spaces - not fine.
Dogs exercising, under control, in public spaces - fine.
Dogs evacuating their bowels in public places - not fine.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Slopes get slippery when covered in dog doodoo I find.

Non-dog owning folk are just tired of out of control pets spoiling their enjoyment of public spaces, e.g. wrecking picnics, frightening children, and of having to deal with the disgusting ordure they too often leave behind, tis all.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
[QUOTE 3926906, member: 9609"]I think dog owners need to wake up and start campaigning vigorously against any and all restrictions - i think we are at the top of a slippery slope that will eventually see dogs banned from society.[/QUOTE]
You should start a campaign group, the Association of British Dogs.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
[QUOTE 3926941, member: 9609"]I don't disagree with you entirely, but do worry that the anti dog lobby is becoming so strong that the balance could be tipped the other way and owning and enjoying the companionship of dogs may just become too difficult. [/QUOTE]
There's not much evidence of that locally.

I own a Jack Russell/Staffie cross, and should it need to be stated, I pick up after him, as well as not taking him into areas marked "No Dogs". His anti-social behaviour consists, in the most part, of barking at busses.

I often see several dog owners letting their mutts roam free on the local park (clearly signposted "No Dogs") and my own dog ownership has not made me immune to stepping in the leavings of those canines unfortunate enough to be owned by the congenitally inconsiderate. I'm not sure whether there is a feeling of persecution abroad in the hearts of Cheshire East's dog owners - if there is, I would venture that it has not proved ominous enough to provoke a change in behaviour.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I don't think there should be any sort of "ban" but more enforcement options would help.

I live on a quiet cul-de-sac with public access land opposite. Some of the dog owners go there for a lovely chat & let their dogs run completely unsupervised - over my front garden where they have been known to do a crafty crap before the owners catch up with them. On one occasion two dogs even came round the side into the back garden to get at our rabbit. The owners were still yapping away in the field totally oblivious when I went out there shouting for them to come & get their dogs out of our garden. Sheepish doesn't cover it..

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It's the same as any type of litter, if they provided more bags and bins then the problem wouldn't be as widespread, but then people complain that the red poop bins spoiling the view. I've seen many dog owners search their bags and pickets for bags, but then walk away because they haven't got one. Maybe a bag vending machine, 10p per bag?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've seen many dog owners search their bags and pickets for bags, but then walk away because they haven't got one. Maybe a bag vending machine, 10p per bag?
They're doing it wrong.

We have a roll of bags that clips to the dog lead (the idea being that we can't take the dog out without bags that way - those run you about £1 at your local discounter, with 3 rolls of bags), and there are few pairs of my jeans that don't also have spare bags in the pockets. As for the bins, if we're not near one, I carry the poop home. It's not rocket science.

Top Bottom