Dogs on public land

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
There is a correlation, if not causation, between stupid people and bad dogs.

Yebbut people are just sh*t anyway. If I knew I wouldn't die of radiation or similar, and I'd be happy forevermore, then I'd be on the first ship to Mars!! :giggle:

SD1

Nope. You obviously have an agenda against dogs and their owners.
Not sure @vernon is wrong. I suspect the majority don't always pick up their dogs shite. Personally I pick it up wherever I am. Be it in the middle of plowed/stubble field in woods where I have never met anyone. I will pick up other peoples litter but I draw the line at other peoples dog shite. With the amount of litter thrown out of cars (what possible excuse is there for that?) I think it highly likely that the majority fail on occasions to pick it up. And obviously in some case never pick it up.
If caught ? times banned from having a dog.
If caught ? many times throwing litter out of car banned from driving. In both cases it really isn't that hard not to be an inconsiderate scum bag.

Last edited by a moderator:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
As always restrictions will only apply to responsible owners. "bad" owners will ignore the restrictions anyway, so the only people banned will be thise whose dogs cause little problem.

I don't even own a dog, never have, but am against banning perfectly reasonable things (if done responsibly) just because someone else disaproves - dictatorship of the majority if you like. It would be quite easy to see a certain other minority pursuit seen as needing restrictions, training, insurance, (effin') road tax or outright banning as it can incovenience others occasionally if done irresponsibly

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I think at least part of the problem is that the people who are "bad" owners have the same sort of feelings of entitlement, and exercise similar self exculpatory reasoning that bad drivers do, with a similar degree of societal connivance. Dog owners are no more persecuted than motorists.

(Hence my (evidently poor) jocular suggestion of the Association of British Dogs to stand up for them).

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'm a responsible dog owner. He's micro-chipped, he's insured, we always pick up after him. He's kept on a lead when he should be and is always under control.
I have no problem with dogs being on a lead in places where it's appropriate or with dogs being banned from specific areas of parks etc, although I would comment that dogs need to run to exercise, some breeds needing anything up to two hours a day good exercise and I'm not sure how they'll get that on a lead...

However, there is one big park not a million miles from here where we simply don't take him any more as there are too many nobber dog owners who have no idea about what their responsibilities as an owner are. They are a minority but ruin it for the rest of us.

The council moan that they can't do anything about dog fouling, or dogs running amok, due to budget cuts but I don't believe a word of it. The fine here for not clearing up after your dog is £75. I'm not sure how much the council pay dog wardens but I'm fairly sure that issuing two fines would cover a days wages and any other operational costs and anything above that would place the council in profit. They could make that within 10 minutes of arriving at any number of locations across the city.

So instead we get the usual knee-jerk reaction which is imposing yet more legislation that by their own admission they won't enforce. Very Kafkaesque, i'm sure.

Tin Pot

Guru
Legislation wouldn't work, biological weapons would.

SD1

I've seen many dog owners search their bags and pickets for bags, but then walk away because they haven't got one. Maybe a bag vending machine, 10p per bag?
What? Don't take the dog out unless you have a packet of bags with you. Your excuse appears to be the state should supply bags. Your next excuse will be they should supply change machines because owners might not have the right change on them.

Wafer

Veteran
So as Tin Pot rightly guessed, they are talking about specific types of areas. Lets read a headline, jump to conclusions and moan about the council even though it's something completely different eh?

If you click through to the consultation the first set of questions are
OcNyVi6.jpg

As a dog owner I'd probably support most of those.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
So as Tin Pot rightly guessed, they are talking about specific types of areas. Lets read a headline, jump to conclusions and moan about the council even though it's something completely different eh?

If you click through to the consultation the first set of questions are
OcNyVi6.jpg

As a dog owner I'd probably support most of those.

all would be fair enough, providing imposed honestly - eg designated an entire park as "children's play area" or similar

Top Bottom