Dogs, Walkers, Runners & Cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm glad I bring a little happiness into your world, but as to gettign back to me, you've missed your chance, it was now or never.
Chicken.
Feel free to scoff ( Oh right, yes, you did ! ^_^ ) but anti social behaviour is a continuum , there is no further marked line between "Thats ok the little doggy is just having fun" to " Get that effing animal's teeth out of my leg" the line was crossed when the dog was out of control.

OK, tell me what the legal definition of under control is. It's a phrase oft used but what's the legal meaning because I don't know. I know under close control, I know dangerously out of control, I know the laws on common land, rights of way, highways, byelaws etc... but strangely under control eludes me. It could be I've missed it, so what is it. Not your interpretation, the actual law and I don't mean the advisement you oft quote in your epistles either.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Controlling your dog in public
Overview
It’s against the law to let a dog be dangerously out of control:
  • in a public place
  • in a private place where the dog isn’t allowed to be (eg a neighbour’s house or garden without permission)
The law applies to all dogs.
Some types of dogs are banned.
Out of control

Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:
  • injures someone
  • makes someone worried that it might injure them
A court could also decide that your dog is dangerously out of control if:
  • it injures someone’s animal
  • the owner of the animal thinks they could be injured if they tried to stop your dog attacking their animal
A farmer is allowed to kill your dog if it’s worrying their livestock.
Penalties

You can be fined up to £5,000 and/or sent to prison for up to 6 months if your dog is out of control. You may also not be allowed to own a dog in the future.
If you let your dog injure someone, you can be sent to prison for up to 2 years and/or fined.
If you deliberately use your dog to injure someone you could be charged with ‘malicious wounding’. The maximum penalty is 5 years in prison.

I started a similar thread yesterday, the aim was to point out that there are good and not so good on both sides, and what we need is understanding and tolerance not to mention common sense on both sides. Such a shame when things start to take a them verus us mentallity.

Controlling your dog in public
Overview
It’s against the law to let a dog be dangerously out of control:
  • in a public place
  • in a private place where the dog isn’t allowed to be (eg a neighbour’s house or garden without permission)
The law applies to all dogs.
Some types of dogs are banned.
Out of control

Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:
  • injures someone
  • makes someone worried that it might injure them
A court could also decide that your dog is dangerously out of control if:
  • it injures someone’s animal
  • the owner of the animal thinks they could be injured if they tried to stop your dog attacking their animal
A farmer is allowed to kill your dog if it’s worrying their livestock.
Penalties

You can be fined up to £5,000 and/or sent to prison for up to 6 months if your dog is out of control. You may also not be allowed to own a dog in the future.
If you let your dog injure someone, you can be sent to prison for up to 2 years and/or fined.
If you deliberately use your dog to injure someone you could be charged with ‘malicious wounding’. The maximum penalty is 5 years in prison.

I've seen that, It's a dangerously out of control definition, not an under control definition, which doesn't exist and yet does exist on a lot of signs. Perhaps the sign should say don't let your dog be dangerously out of control, which is self-evident but subtly different.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Chicken.

OK, tell me what the legal definition of under control is. It's a phrase oft used but what's the legal meaning because I don't know. I know under close control, I know dangerously out of control, I know the laws on common land, rights of way, highways, byelaws etc... but strangely under control eludes me. It could be I've missed it, so what is it. Not your interpretation, the actual law and I don't mean the advisement you oft quote in your epistles either.

Be careful with the "chicken"

You see that's the problem with trying to accomodate people, they are never satisfied, inches become yards. Outside of the shooting/farming communities I've never seen a dog that was under any real control unless it was on a lead, but, picking up on the point that your's wasn't on a lead, and that you think that that was OK , rather than start a disagreement I used "under control" rather than my prefered option of "on a short lead". No sooner have moved that inch but you start trying to blur the line , querying what is "under control". I should have stuck with the line, oh well I know better next time. :sad:

Little yellow Brompton

I started a similar thread yesterday, the aim was to point out that there are good and not so good on both sides, and what we need is understanding and tolerance not to mention common sense on both sides. Such a shame when things start to take a them verus us mentallity.
It's not a shame, it's inevitable. I , you , and every cyclist on here are ,"us" , humans, dogs are not , they are "them" , it's impossible for " them" to be "us" or vice versa.

Be careful with the "chicken"

You see that's the problem with trying to accomodate people, they are never satisfied, inches become yards. Outside of the shooting/farming communities I've never seen a dog that was under any real control unless it was on a lead, but, picking up on the point that your's wasn't on a lead, and that you think that that was OK , rather than start a disagreement I used "under control" rather than my prefered option of "on a short lead". No sooner have moved that inch but you start trying to blur the line , querying what is "under control". I should have stuck with the line, oh well I know better next time. :sad:
I should have put a smiley face after the chicken then, like this :smile:

Anyway we won't agree, You know I'm wrong and I know you're wrong.

Funnily enough, we came across a bloke on a Brompton several weeks back, who remarked on the dog. I thought it might have been you spying on me but he said something positive, so I knew it wasn't :smile:

U

User6179

Im dog walker and cyclist and on shared path when walking my dog I have never had a problem simply because i would never let my dog of the lead on a shared path but on my bike on shared paths on the rare ocassions i use them which are nearly always national cycle routes I always come across dog walkers that think the dogs have a right to run loose and can see how these could cause problems.

My suggestion would be dogs on leads at all times and 10 mph limit when passing walkers and a complete nation wide ban on extendable leads :biggrin:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I'm no lawyer, but don't most laws define wrong-doing, and not right-doing? Drunk and disorderly - not sober and orderly. Interesting that your dog could be deemed to be 'dangerously out of control' if it 'makes someone worried that it might injure them' - beware!

Little yellow Brompton

Im dog walker and cyclist and on shared path when walking my dog I have never had a problem simply because i would never let my dog of the lead on a shared path but on my bike on shared paths on the rare ocassions i use them which are nearly always national cycle routes I always come across dog walkers that think the dogs have a right to run loose and can see how these could cause problems.

My suggestion would be dogs on leads at all times and 10 mph limit when passing walkers and a complete nation wide ban on extendable leads :biggrin:
I could work with that., but 10MPH seems a bit high to me

Little yellow Brompton

I should have put a smiley face after the chicken then, like this :smile:

Anyway we won't agree, You know I'm wrong and I know you're wrong.

Funnily enough, we came across a bloke on a Brompton several weeks back, who remarked on the dog. I thought it might have been you spying on me but he said something positive, so I knew it wasn't :smile:
:rolleyes:would have helped, and you're partially right, I do know that you are wrong, but your wrong about me being so.... :smooch:

I'm no lawyer, but don't most laws define wrong-doing, and not right-doing? Drunk and disorderly - not sober and orderly. Interesting that your dog could be deemed to be 'dangerously out of control' if it 'makes someone worried that it might injure them' - beware!

I wouldn't be too literal with that but I'm done on this thread now, so further thoughts can wait for the next inevitable thread.

<unwatch>

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Yes!! That's exactly it!!

Why has nobody else spotted the obvious link between taking a sanguine view of behaviours observed on shared-use paths and appeasing a tyrant who wants to take over a Central Europen state.

This is a weakness in the laissez-faire approach that I spotted straight away.

As the poem says: "First they took their dogs off leads, but I said nothing because I didn't have a dog".

We must stand shoulder to shoulder against the fearsome barrage that is.... chihuahuas running amock in Neasden.

World peace is threatened. Act now!
Yes, well, it's easy to mock.

aces_up1504

I often let my dog run off the lead if I feel its safe to do so and that includes mixed use pathways. If I see other cyclists I will call her to heel, and from my experience most cyclists are thank full.

Maybe I am lucky I have a dog that shows little interest in runner, cyclist's or other dogs and have never seen her bolt after another dog or chase.

But if I did have an issue in a mixed use area I would use a lead, but what person might see as an issue someone else may not.

Top Bottom