Dogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Some dogs will inevitably attack. If they do, and you can't outrun it, don't hold back, you're free to fight back with as much force as you can muster.

Alcdrew

I believe if they do attack you best defense is to pull there front legs apart.

But just buy a dog scarer thing, someone at work has one, little black box makes a sound dogs hate so they don't chase you and attack.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I can't say I've stopped to find out :evil:

I've been chased by farm dogs in France, but they gave up once I was out of their territory (basically the bit of road front of the farmhouse). Over here, I see quite a few dogs at the Crewe end of my commute - I generally slow down, and ask the owner to shorten the lead a bit if necessary. (Occasionally a jovial "Not a chaser, is he?" as I pass reminds them to keep a hold on Fido...)

My own dog gets short lead (if not made to sit/lie down and wait) as bikes pass while I'm walking him.

I've fended a few dogs off with my foot, including an alsatian who wasn't under the owner's control and looked like he meant business. Now when I see dogs in country park on my way to work I unclip my feet in advance.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
The use of a frame pump as a baton would be my choice :evil:. Dogs like to chase and will give up once bored so allegedly the thing to do is get off your bike and put your bike between you and the dog. They are supposed to loose interest however I would have to say I would prefer to outsprint the dog than find out whether the above is true or not.:biggrin:

beancounter

Had to take my dog to the vet last week.

He said "I've got to put your dog down"

I said "I didn't know he was that sick!"

He said "He's not sick but he's very heavy"

bc

Plax

Guru
I've never really been chased by a dog. Neighbour has a terrier type dog who shows little interest in me when I'm on the bike, although he has once run alongside the bike as I was riding up the road. A curt "Bugger off Jack" did the trick.
When I used to cycle along the lake at a certain time, there was one guy with an alsation who always used to shout for me to stop and then grab his dog for me to pass. I stopped going at that time as I had visions of the dog clocking me before the owner did. The dog was muzzled, but still, bet the bloody thing could knock me off the bike quick enough.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Been chased by a jack russel once, it stopped running and turned around when i started loosing it as i was doing 20mph!:evil:
Being a paper boy i have alot of dogs bark at me, and its mainly a terratory thing. I have ran down a short section of road to get away from a Yorkshire terrier, as soon as i crossed the road it was happy.
If a dog looks like its going to come and get me, then i wont stop, i'll keep going. Not had to do that yet though.
A tip was given to me by a person who was traveling round the world and came across a pack of dogs. All he had was his walking pole on him and a bag, and there was about 3-4 dogs. He walked the head dog hard and made it back off, which is what the other dogs then did.
They are probably just not happy with you being there, and the barking is just to get you to shift and scare you away.

Night Train

Maker of Things
As much as I love dogs and don't condone violence towards them you do have to defend yourself if attacked. If you can get away then fine but if you can't then you have to do what you can.

I have only been badly attacked by a German Shepard once when I was out walking my dog. It was tied up outside a shop and it managed to snap its lead to run at me. The GS attacked me not my dog btw. I tried punching it on the nose, no effect, booting it in the groin, no effect, slashing at its eyes with my bunch of keys, no effect, a sustained punching at it's eyes and nose while booting in the groin, no effect.

The GS only stopped when the owner came out of the shop and called it off. They then went off in the opposite direction without even checking to see if I was ok. No one else checked either. My own dog was terrified and hiding behind me all through the attack.

Aside from that attack I have still been quite happy to stop and talk to dogs.
I found a huge Rottie, my neighbour's, busy stopping people from getting out of a minibus taxi by standing there growling at the bus. It was only because the taxi stopped outside the Rottie's house. I just went over and had a chat with the Rottie and told him to go home and eventually he left and the people got off the minibus. So generally dogs are only guarding their territory.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I love dogs I really do, but if one attacks I have no hesitation in a good kick.

However it's the owners fault completely if a dog attacks. People should keep their pets under control.

An example is the Waterlink way in Catford, which is a designated national cycle route shared with pedestrians. Now any dog owner with at least half a brain knows this and will keep their pooch on a lead. Other's are quite happy letting them run loose at cyclists and other dogs. (Bull Terriors seem to be in the majority)
I nearly got into a fight with one owner, who's pooch bit me as I passed by (passed slowly I might add), it got a kick for it's trouble, nothing too hard, just enough to make it yelp out. The owner gave it the usual "He was only playing", only ferkin playing! you call biting someone playing?

col

Legendary Member
The pulling its front legs apart is a bit risky for you i think,its still going to try and sink its gnashers into you,the only real way is to strangle it,and if you hold on hard enough,the only injury you may get is scratches from its front paws when its trying to get away from you,but you have control of its head,as long as you hold on hard.

Milo

Guru
I heard about the pulling legs apart thing allegedly kills them?
Not that im condoneing it but I would not hesitate if some pit bull went for me.
My mate recently had a cat killed by a unleaded pit cross.

Top Bottom