Dogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
I was once chased by a doberman when i was about 17,i remember my brother and his mates laughing at me as i flew past at what must have been somewhere near thirty shouting "Peetteeeeeeeeerrrrrr" meaning help me,but they thought it was hilarious,it turned out to be one of his mates dog and wasnt trying to bite but play,but i didnt know that,and nearly sh@t me pants.

OP
OP
Lone Rider

Lone Rider

There seem to be a lot of stories about dogs chasing bikes, but not attacking, so, it would seem that they are just playing, or protecting their territory.

From what I have read in the replies a lot of cyclists have attacked, or would attack, dogs, which surprises me, as I thought that regular cyclists were generally peaceful people.

As there is no evidence of dogs bitting cyclists, don't you think the best bet is to continue on your way and ignore them.

However, I have found a friend who has an electronic device for scaring dogs and I am going to try it out next weekend. Just in case...

If the dog wants to play by biting you, then why shouldnt you play back by kicking/punching/biting/any other way you wish- after all, its just a game, isnt it...

and if the owner complains then get off and swing yer bike at them so they get a mouthfull of tyre...

ps i am a nice calm courteous person really!!!

Troy

have sometimes been chased by barking dogs, but never bitten. Do dogs ever attack? or are they just having fun at my expense?

The latter. If they truly mean you harm they will steam right in.
Scared people always make a big deal about barking dogs but they are mostly harmless. If a dog does attack you and it is too big to pin to the floor by its neck, then you can kick, punch and gouge it all you like and you will still be ferked.

Troy

By the way, if you are attacked by a dog the best thing to do is remain calm and try to calm the dog down. Easier than it sounds for most people unfortunately.

briank

Round here it's most likely farm dogs. No doubt just seeing you off their patch most times, but I'd rather not try and outrun a dog snapping at my heels or cope with one getting under me feet /wheels. So I'll always stop, unclip and shout loudly "NOOOO!!!" This generally
(a) at least slows the dog down
(:blush: attracts the owners attention
(c) makes it easier to get the bike frame between me and the dog, if need be.
In response to the owner's, "He won't hurt you/he's all bark etc" I generally point out that it's not their dog but them that'll be in court if the dog makes me lose control, causing pain or damage.

I've been chased and bitten twice by playful dogs.

Keith Oates

Janner
Most dogs will back off if you shout loudly at them and take a step towards them. However there are always exceptions and knowing which is which can be a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom