Dogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lone Rider

Lone Rider

I don't really want to kill the animal!

I do like the suggestion of using an electronic device. It may not be perfect, but, if it does work, it keeps the animals away. Avoiding all contact would be ideal. And you don't need to get off your bike.

Milo

Guru
I was being hypothitical in the sense of zombie apocalypse dogs and the like.

Last week I was heading along Silverknowes promenade and a rottweiler on the beech started to jump across the boulders and charge for me at a perpendicular angle. I thought that he'd get me :biggrin: but thank goodness he didn't I never looked back to see what happened:ohmy:

The only time I've been bitten (about 25 years ago, about 7 at the time), luckily it was winter and I was well dressed so it was my new body warmer that got the bite. The owner told me that it had been bullied as a pup by some lads with blond hair so occasionally it would see blond and go mad.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't ever run from a dog - a good bet is to shout at it. That's for a normal, usually good behaved one....for the rather heavy, rather nasty ones, I suppose nothing more than shoving your thumb in it's eye socket and further if it get's that close ? You ain't going to strangle a pitt bull !

Rotties etc (i.e. big dogs) are usually pretty good dogs - just depends if the thing's been abused or badly trained - unfortunately a 'big bad dog' is a symbol of power in the rather not too nice parts of town these days - and the poor animal won't be trained !

bonj2

I wouldn't condone this for nice playful dogs, but if you're being chased by an aggressive nastly looking dog and it's running straight after you, and gaining on you, then a possible tactic might be to get so that it your path is to the left of its, i.e. so it is coming at you from the right, then whack your rear shifter right up into top gear so your mech's as tucked away as possible then slam the anchors on. If you get it right it'll get a face (or neck) full of cassette.

col

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
Don't ever run from a dog - a good bet is to shout at it. That's for a normal, usually good behaved one....for the rather heavy, rather nasty ones, I suppose nothing more than shoving your thumb in it's eye socket and further if it get's that close ? You ain't going to strangle a pitt bull !

Rotties etc (i.e. big dogs) are usually pretty good dogs - just depends if the thing's been abused or badly trained - unfortunately a 'big bad dog' is a symbol of power in the rather not too nice parts of town these days - and the poor animal won't be trained !

Its the only way your going to have a chance with a pit bull,you wont stop it any other way unless you have an iron bar or a gun;)

Milo

Guru
Got chased by a sodding doberman on a sustrans path today woman totally ignored the fact her dog tried to eat me. And then had to cheek to tell me I was going to fast!
Can you get steel toe capped spd shoes?

snorri

Legendary Member
Alcdrew said:
I believe if they do attack you best defense is to pull there front legs apart.

I feel certain this is no more than an urban myth. ;)
If you got your hands near enough to grasp its legs, then the mutt would sink its teeth into one of your arms, if not your face, making any attempt to pull its legs apart fairly futile.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
miloat said:
Got chased by a sodding doberman on a sustrans path today woman totally ignored the fact her dog tried to eat me. And then had to cheek to tell me I was going to fast!
Can you get steel toe capped spd shoes?

I had two of them chase me on my paper round once. :smile:
Wasnt the nicest thing.
Bonj, your idea would be better if you lent over the forward abit, pulled the front brakes so the rear wheel lifted and landed the rear wheel back down on the dog, then just carried on going without unclipping.;)
A friend had an English Bull terrier that was abit crazy. He lives in a rough area and some of the local gang went past on a bike. He told them to give the dog a wide berth but they went past the dog close and it got the kid and woudlnt let go. So my mate grabbed the scruff of its neck(the dog) and kept twisting it until its eyes roled back, he did let go then because he was tired and the dog just carried on grabbing.
The local gang then wanted to kill this dog, but ran off before even starting. :smile:

Joe

Über Member
This thread is terrifying:sad:
I've been barked at but thankfuly never chased or attacked. How fast can, say, a german shepard (they scare me!) run?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Joe said:
This thread is terrifying:sad:
I've been barked at but thankfuly never chased or attacked. How fast can, say, a german shepard (they scare me!) run?

Well a Jack Russel did 20mph before it backed off, so....;)

Top Bottom