Dogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wmtlynx

Since I started commuting in the spring, I've had a couple of run-ins with man's best friend. First was at Robert's Corner near Alvecurch when a terrier thing came yapping at me at full chat from an illegal camp site (caravans now gone, replaced with 8 foot steel fencing and "KEEP OUT. PRIVATE PROPERTY" signs) and the second from an alsatian not on a lead that took a shine to my trouser leg. Owner totally not arsed by this, on Wast Hill Lane. I was beginning the steep climb at this point and had slowed down to walking pace to try and prevent the creature from going into "chase" mode, and to give the owner chance to get hold of the dog or at least bring it under control. No commands to the dog were given until attached to trousers......

Anyone else got any similar stories, and advice on the matter? Don't really fancy listening to my head, which says to shoot the owners in the face and confiscate the animals and offer them to more responsible owners.

My current plan is to avoid Wast Hill Lane on my return journey when people are up and about, and I've now reverted to going via Alvechurch since Carry On Camping has moved on, as the A441 between Hopwood and the M42 was tearing my tyres to bits.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Had one leap at me when I was doing about 20mph on a busy road. That focused the mind!

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
There's three dogs near my favourite Cake shop called..ummm. Cake in Downe, Kent - they have always helped me up the incline they are at the bottom of.

I think avoiding the area is a sensible suggestion, especially as you are going to be on edge whether the dogs are there or not. I am not good in these situations either though. I do try and avoid on road confrontations as much as possible!

I am disappointed that this thread has nothing to with 1980s Neighbours;; "you're such a dag, Charlene!"

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
the second from an alsatian not on a lead that took a shine to my trouser leg. Owner totally not arsed by this, on Wast Hill Lane. I was beginning the steep climb at this point and had slowed down to walking pace to try and prevent the creature from going into "chase" mode, and to give the owner chance to get hold of the dog or at least bring it under control. No commands to the dog were given until attached to trousers......

My current plan is to avoid Wast Hill Lane on my return journey when people are up and about.

Done Wast Hill Lane many a time, and never encountered an out-of-control dog. Would be a pity to avoid this road as it is one of my training hills. Feeling tired and legs starting to resemble lead? Do Wast Hill Lane and wreck them properly!

A441 Hopwood to M42? Not a personal favourite of mine. Too long, straight and fast. Never done it enough to study its wear on tyres.

OP
OP
wmtlynx

wmtlynx

Done Wast Hill Lane many a time, and never encountered an out-of-control dog. Would be a pity to avoid this road as it is one of my training hills. Feeling tired and legs starting to resemble lead? Do Wast Hill Lane and wreck them properly!

A441 Hopwood to M42? Not a personal favourite of mine. Too long, straight and fast. Never done it enough to study its wear on tyres.

Indeed. Southbound from Hopwood island to the M42 island is ok, but northbound it's like riding on railway ballast, despite being a NSL road. Also not keen on the amount of cars and trucks in the layby that could swerve out at any moment. Much prefer Alvechurch on my route to Redditch - at most it adds a minute to my journey and it's more fun with it's ups and downs. Must try the hill up to Rowney Green at some point :tongue: Been down it - looks interesting in reverse..... And hopefully no out-of-control dogs :biggrin:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Must try the hill up to Rowney Green at some point :tongue: Been down it - looks interesting in reverse..... And hopefully no out-of-control dogs :biggrin:

Never done that one, I believe. I'll add it onto my list.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Ye
Sod that BentMikey, bloody dangerous things.
Hate dogs and think they should all be on muzzles in public places

What's dangerous? The rottweiler, or the owner for leaving it on the loose? Must say I really would not like to hit a dog at 50kph/30mph, even on a shelled trike that's going to be traumatic.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
What's dangerous? The rottweiler, or the owner for leaving it on the loose? Must say I really would not like to hit a dog at 50kph/30mph, even on a shelled trike that's going to be traumatic.

Personally I do not see the need to have dogs like rottys and staffs at all, think they are unsuitable as domestic animals, but thats another thread. I think the owner is responsible (or should be) for an animal in their care and should be punished suitable for the actions of his animal should it cause an accident.
I understand that the dog very likely saw you as coming into its domain and went to protect it, however this does not prevent it from being dangerous and the owners responsibility should protect you and his dog imho.
Things like that anger me and the only person I had any sympathy for was you. I must equally applaud you for your swift reactions and control as you could have been in a ditch at the side of the road.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Not been hassled on my bike yet but am generally dismayed at the level of control owners have over their dogs. I keep meaning to fill a water pistol with a mild lemon juice and water mix to discourage dogs that try to attack my dog when we're out for a walk. I always put mine on a lead when there are other dogs about but some owners are actually pleased that their dogs are aggressive so do nothing to reign them in. I had to shout a dog down the other day as it came up to us snarling and growling and circling as the owners did naff all except swig from his can of super strength lager.
Rubbish dog owners are a definite pet hate of mine (pun intended). If there is no harm to the dog then I would advocate muzzling all dogs. The inherent problem with this though is that responsible people will comply and leave their dogs even more vulnerable to attack from vicious dogs. I might consider muzzling the owners so they can't be shouting at and berating their dogs all the time under the misguided idea that it somehow constitutes discipline. To$$ers.

akb

Veteran
In this instance, the Rotty is doing what I assume it has been trained and bred to do. Protect. It is the owners responsibility to ensure that this level of protection is controlled. Plenty of farms around my way with Rottys and Alsatians on the loose. That is what they are there for. They protect valuable farm equipment.

Top Bottom