Dogs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Do you treat your dog like a child? I am really amazed when I see people kissing and cuddling their dog as if it was a child. They buy special treats, sometimes even clothes, let them sleep on the settee, talk to them same as babies etc..... I don't have a dog because my wife and I feel you are too tied with a dog, but four of our children have one and they all behave like I said. At the end of the day, a dog is an animal and also a pet but not a child! Of course it should be treated and well looked after but hey, it is not your own flesh and blood. Love them and be good to them but remember, it is a DOG.

It's called anthropomorphism.

And it's why we have animal rights terrorists.

(Edit)
'Tis harsh, but true - Aharr!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
In a sense pure-bred, cross-breed and mongrel are merely marketing labels. Also interbreeding different "breeds" done sensibly should be a good thing as it introduces a bit more genetic diversity and hopefully mitigates the weaknesses of both. They do this with horses deliberately combining say 3/4 "thoroughbred" with 1/4 Irish cart horse or whatever. Some of the extreme "pure bred" creatures replete with problems and likely rather in-bred too - can't be a good thing.

Cats are just as bad. My uncle had a couple of lovely athletic and healthy siameses 40+ years ago. See a siamese today and it looks more like the creature from Alien than a proper cat. Even Maine Coons - superficially big farm cats - don't live very long, at least ours didn't - lovely and fun cats though they were. Now got a stripey moggy so no more in-bred pedigrees in for us.
That was a big thing with GSDs, they had become very interbred until British breeders brought German bloodlines to improve (or restore)the breed.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Will you lot sod off with dog pictures.

I really want a dog again, but realise that with both me and Mrs Kes working full time it wouldn't be fair....

:cry:

Sorry can't do that, this was a rare occasion where I caught my big fella having a snooze on the old sofa (not allowed now new suite).
DSCF2590.JPG

Mrs M

Guru
:sad:

Ed was found wandering the streets of Wrexham with another pup that the dog wardens thought might be his brother. (Both of them were rehomed, his brother a few days before Ed). I don't understand how anyone could have abandoned this little guy;
View attachment 144628
Aw, :wub:
Super cute wee guy.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I have never met anyone who thinks their dog is badly behaved, they just think they are playful.
I know when my dogs are being playful and when they need the stern voice. I tavoid the latter by making sure they're totally in my control before needing to use the playful excuse.

Like many ex smokers being the most zealous anti smokers. Most responsible dog owners deplore the other type more than any non dog fan does.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I know when my dogs are being playful and when they need the stern voice. I tavoid the latter by making sure they're totally in my control before needing to use the playful excuse.
I think that you do need to know your dog's limitations - I know that Ed isn't great at recall, and that he would follow an interesting scent for a long while, concentrating on nothing else, given the opportunity, so he stays on lead unless we're somewhere quiet, reasonably enclosed, and have a tennis ball to attract his attention.

I assume that people I don't know aren't ok with dogs, and get Ed to behave accordingly until we know the lie of the land.

Top Bottom