Doh! Changing a Cassette Error!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianbarton

Veteran
The cassette on my Giant Defy 2 is rather worn. I have been using a Wahoo trainer over the winter, which had a supposedly identical new cassette on it. I took the cassette off the Wahoo and fitted it to the Giant. The old Giant cassette had a spacer behind and the Wahoo has a spacer if you have a Shimano rather than an SRAM cassette.

I couldn't work out why when I put the cassette plus spacer on the Giant there was no way I could start the locking nut, as there wasn't enough thread to engage with the wheel. After much bad language, I realized that I the "identical" cassette I was trying to fit was 34 not 32, so it didn't need a spacer!

Edit: new cassette had one more cog than the old one.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
the "identical" cassette I was trying to fit was 34 not 32, so it didn't need a spacer!
Size of largest sprocket is irrelevant to the width of the cassette.

OP
OP
ianbarton

ianbarton

Veteran
I don't understand how the number of teeth make a difference to the width of the cassette
Sorry didn't make it clear. It had an extra cog. I got the cassette details from the Giant web site so assumed the new cassette would be the same as the one on the bike.

I guess that LBS changed the Cassette at some point in the bikes service history.

OldShep

Über Member
I’m confused. Can anyone explain what’s going on here :wacko:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
It's always good to be educated.

LXYnaaM.jpg

Top Bottom