Doing a Hobbes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
After reading all the wonderful and sometimes scary adventures of Hobbes on Tour it has got me thinking, my pensions are being calculated now, I've no real ties should I perhaps do a Hobbes and become nomadic for a few years. Anyone else considered this lifestyle?

Alex321

Veteran
Although I can see the attraction, I have too many things I enjoy doing which really require me to be in a reasonably fixed location, at least for most of the time.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
1647871825473.png

Yes. Read this too ^_^

presta

Guru
I used to daydream about it, but never seriously. I always wondered how you would go about setting up and managing bank accounts with no fixed address.
Why not - even if it's only a few weeks - somewhere warm ?
Most of my cycle tours were 3-4 weeks. One long tour is more efficient than two short ones, because you waste less time/money getting to and from the location where you're riding.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I used to daydream about it, but never seriously. I always wondered how you would go about setting up and managing bank accounts with no fixed address.

Most of my cycle tours were 3-4 weeks. One long tour is more efficient than two short ones, because you waste less time/money getting to and from the location where you're riding.
If you lived in a tent and exclusively used the bike as travel, not an issue I'd think and I only use a cash machine now so that wouldn't change anything for me. I have no DD's or anything.

I did have an idea that if I ever became single again, I’d take off indefinitely and just see where I ended up each day.
I did actually become single a year ago but with the shitstorm that IS Brexit, it’s made everything so much more hassle and difficult.
Maybe in future, I’ll just concentrate on the odd 2-3 month tour during the winter (when I’m not working), but obviously in warmer climes.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I always think when sprog is that bit older and my gf is fed up of me I'd dissappear in a van and tour the world. Reality is I would miss a fixed base and gf seems to like me for some reason.
However if you've no fixed ties and fancy it I'd say why not.
It's a cliché and often overused but of late I've become accustomed to the 'lifes too short' motto. Give it a go and see how you get on. No fixed ties means you can always try something else

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The traditional option is to persuade or pay a fixed-address friend to be your maildrop, or rent one of those post-to-email scanning services like boatmail or myUKpost. Maybe that's no longer necessary these days with app-based bank accounts. Monese even markets itself as not needing a UK address, but one drawback with it is it's not registered as a UK bank, so all your money is at risk if it collapses, unlike Atom, Monzo and Starling.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@HobbesOnTour did you read this?
You made CC history, now they all want to "do a Hobbes" ^_^
I have no desire to do a Hobbes, because I moved loads when I was younger.
Also, I came to the UK from abroad, so I had my adventure then, many years ago.
Nowadays, I've got too much going on here, locally, plus I'd miss my cats.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I spent a lot of life travelling but not how I wanted to and now I am considering doing it on my time.

Thanks @Pat "5mph" I might have missed it!
From what I'm seeing the majority don't want to do a Hobbes^_^

If you lived in a tent and exclusively used the bike as travel, not an issue I'd think and I only use a cash machine now so that wouldn't change anything for me. I have no DD's or anything.
As I mentioned in the other thread it certainly is an issue.
For a bank account you'll need an address.
No address no account. No account no card.
There may be online accounts that can be used without an address but they need to be researched carefully and from what I've read you don't care for the online world.

An address is also essential for things like insurance, taxes, government services. It's something that needs careful planning.
An empty house is uninsurable after a period of time. A rental property may not be sublet, ditto with a mortgaged one. Different countries and institutions have different rules and levels of enforcement. It's an area that can be quite challenging to figure out. The last thing you want is for your sublet home to be burnt to the ground and discover that your insurance is invalid.

A last minute glitch for me was deregistering from the local council. I needed to supply an address abroad (any one will do) but what flummoxed me was proof (a ticket) that I was leaving the country. Leaving by bike on a cargo ship I didn't have any kind of ticket that I could supply! ^_^

Top Bottom