Doing a Hobbes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Thanks @Pat "5mph" I might have missed it!
From what I'm seeing the majority don't want to do a Hobbes^_^

As I mentioned in the other thread it certainly is an issue.
For a bank account you'll need an address.
No address no account. No account no card.
There may be online accounts that can be used without an address but they need to be researched carefully and from what I've read you don't care for the online world.

An address is also essential for things like insurance, taxes, government services. It's something that needs careful planning.
An empty house is uninsurable after a period of time. A rental property may not be sublet, ditto with a mortgaged one. Different countries and institutions have different rules and levels of enforcement. It's an area that can be quite challenging to figure out. The last thing you want is for your sublet home to be burnt to the ground and discover that your insurance is invalid.

A last minute glitch for me was deregistering from the local council. I needed to supply an address abroad (any one will do) but what flummoxed me was proof (a ticket) that I was leaving the country. Leaving by bike on a cargo ship I didn't have any kind of ticket that I could supply! ^_^
All great to know and I am aware of a good chunk. UK will take a while and go from there.

should I perhaps do a Hobbes and become nomadic for a few years.

While I have lived as a nomad for the last 2.5 years it was never my intention to stay a nomad. I knew I would settle down somewhere - part of the reason for the trip was to find out where.

This was something I prepared for mentally as well as physically.
Physically, I loaded my bike up as much as possible even for a weekend trip. I cycled and camped in winter, down to -10C. I taught myself basic, rudimentary mechanics. I cooked and ate "Trangia food" even at home perfecting different dishes. Not to mention getting a handle on all the logistics.
Mentally I learned to drop the stresses of daily life on the edge of town and methods of clearing my head when things weren't going well.

Travelling, by bike or by narrow boat, is far more enjoyable and sustainable when we don't focus on the negative but seek out the positive and are able to tolerate the uncomfortable. I believe there is a mindset of a "good traveller" that doesn't judge but accepts. There is no "better" or "worse", no "good" or "bad" just difference.
Human nature and a lifetime of experience can make that sound like pie in the sky. It may not be possible all the time, but it's certainly possible most of the time in my experience. Just not in Panama ^_^

The great thing about travel, especially my kind of travel, is the whole process tends to clear the mind from all the usual, daily crap. If I'm stuck in a traffic jam every morning going to work then it's much harder to see the positive. Being stuck in a traffic jam on a Colombian road because of a mudslide (or perhaps the army trying to sweep out some terrorists) is different.
I would never have considered checking if a hotel had hot water but these days it's a treat!
A lot of it comes from a focus on "being in the moment". A realisation when things are good that this is a passing moment and that we should make the best of it and that when times are tough that they too are temporary.
Mindfulness concentrates on being in the moment and helps us acquire tools to adjust ourselves to it. If you're not familiar with it I'd suggest a little investigation.

I've referenced it many times on various threads, the importance of my "Touring head". The mental state that I am in. I've met too many people on tour without their head (metaphorically) and they are not happy.

Solo travel has advantages and disadvantages. Looking back I think I needed some alone time but at this stage I think I've had enough. Covid has meant a lot of alone time, especially in México.

If this is something you really want to do then I suggest to practice as much as you can. Out for a walk or a bike ride tell yourself that this is a part of your new life and you're going to look at things differently. Not to get wound up by the "boy racer" or the litter in the verge. Whenever a "dark cloud" shows up on your mental horizon make a conscious effort to distract yourself. To make the most of what you do have, not what's missing or "wrong". Look for unexplored routes to help the "freshness". Take photos and compare them over time. And look for inspiration.

The more you do the better you get at it. Then you'll be in a better position to determine if it's a life for you or better as an option to dip in and out of as you feel the need and have the opportunity.

Here is a post that outlines my motivations and the process that brought me to where I am. Be warned! It's long!^_^

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/t...-just-tell-him-your-plans.254046/post-6312796

Good luck!

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I haven't quite done the epic trip that Hobbes has but I did quit my job and head off on my bike in my mid-thirties. I was single, had some savings and had discovered cycle touring ^_^.What gave me the final push to actually do it was not wanting to live with the regret of not trying it. I deliberately burnt my bridges, turned down the offer of a career break and let life and my bike see where it took me. After 7-8 months I was ready to stop moving. I wanted to come home and see my family (particularly my new nephew). If I'd headed back on the road I would have looked into doing a Spanish course in Central America to still be 'travelling' but be based in one place for a while. As it was, a few weeks living with my parents was enough and I felt like I wanted to go back to work. I only applied for fixed-term contracts with the thought I might head off again but that never happened and I'm still with the same employer over 10 years later :ohmy:. The itch for another long trip seems to have waned, but I wouldn't rule it out.

For anyone who has an inkling they fancy trying it, seriously think about it and don't put it off. You never know when your health or family circumstances will change (if they currently allow it) or when the next pandemic or world war will hit. :bicycle:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The great thing about travel, especially my kind of travel, is the whole process tends to clear the mind from all the usual, daily crap.
This must be the reason why I don't feel the urge to do a Hobbes: my mind is usually empty of conflict anything apart from the thought of what I'm going to eat next :laugh:

This must be the reason why I don't feel the urge to do a Hobbes: my mind is usually empty of conflict anything apart from the thought of what I'm going to eat next :laugh:
To cure that take a trip through Central America & Colombia! Food is bland and not to be anticipated!:laugh:

If you want to indulge.....
Go to Mexico! ^_^
Being naïve I didn't appreciate it..... Until it was in the rearview mirror

Cycling and eating. Eating and cycling. Bliss ^_^

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Cycling and eating. Eating and cycling. Bliss
OT, sorry OP :blush: but I find cycling more enjoyable when I'm not my usual chubby self :laugh:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
After reading all the wonderful and sometimes scary adventures of Hobbes on Tour it has got me thinking, my pensions are being calculated now, I've no real ties should I perhaps do a Hobbes and become nomadic for a few years. Anyone else considered this lifestyle?

Have you got a house you could let out , while you go, that would give you some extra funds .

And an address.

It's a bit annoying* now us UK peeps can only stay in Europe for 3 months at a time ..

I'll probs start heading off for a lot longer trips in a few years time, once I've got more permenant farm help, or even a manager.

I can also add to the coffers by teaching online from a tablet via zoom as I go along..

I quite like the idea of "Tonight's class is coming to you from [ insert next nights stop here] " That would be fun..

If you've got some pension coming, and no other ties, then why not.??

If you don't like it, you can come back, it's not the end of the world if the open road isn't your thing - but at least you'll have given it a go 👍🏼

*Understatement for diplomatic purposes

Retyred.life

After reading all the wonderful and sometimes scary adventures of Hobbes on Tour it has got me thinking, my pensions are being calculated now, I've no real ties should I perhaps do a Hobbes and become nomadic for a few years. Anyone else considered this lifestyle?

I hit the road at 53. It's now twelve years through 75 countries so far for me 😊

Stopped working at 52. Sold, or disposed of, everything except the essentials, i.e. bike and kit. Use a friend's address for correspondence.
No family responsibilities to worry about.
NFA means everywhere is home.

This might throw you off and others in CC but since you are going to rely on your pension and with “no real ties” consider nomadic with no bike in tow. Backpack and public transport - bus, rail, hostels etc. You will cover more continents, countries, cultures etc. Only need 2 sets of clothes from Decathlon, PC and phone with good camera.

Safer starting regions -
South East Asia - Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Burma, Cambodia, Laos
Japan - South to North
Pacific Island hoping on cargo freighters
New Zealand - North to South

This might throw you off and others in CC but since you are going to rely on your pension and with “no real ties” consider nomadic with no bike in tow. Backpack and public transport - bus, rail, hostels etc. You will cover more continents, countries, cultures etc. Only need 2 sets of clothes from Decathlon, PC and phone with good camera.

Safer starting regions -
South East Asia - Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Burma, Cambodia, Laos
Japan - South to North
Pacific Island hoping on cargo freighters
New Zealand - North to South
er, this is a cycling forum.

Top Bottom