Doing the way of the rose's will my bike ok ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I did the Dales Cycleway, was very glad to have a triple with lower gearing (though am overweight and was fully loaded and I know that makes a difference). I also cycled through Pateley Bridge and was glad of the lower gearing I can tell you! Then again, I'm the sort of person who only likes to cycle and not push a bike, so I'd be cycling up at a slow walking pace anyway. Worst case scenario is you just push it. I'm still not sure I'd like to do a tour near/through the Dales with a road double crank and gearing with a load though.....

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I used a 52/36 and 11/27 on the back, i carried my rucksack and i had to carry my other halfs rucksack for about 5 miles, that was carried in front of me as she was suffering with a sore hip, But then us southerners are hard:laugh::laugh::laugh:
meonthemoors.jpg

Cypher

I have 52/42 and 28/14 on my old Carlton. This was my first camping ride, ended up over Tan Hill. I did have to get off & push a couple of hills but was in no rush, but did get up a 20% er ^_^
Just enjoy the whole trip, the hold ups, walks up hill, people you meet/pass, the weather, the coffee (good or bad) all make your trip unique. Oh yeh take plenty of photos

. IMG_0979.jpg

bigjim

Legendary Member
I don't know why people are so against getting off and pushing. In the 60s we thought nothing of it. Bit steep? Hard going? Tired? Get off and push. No problem. Whats the big deal?
I've toured France with a cheap road bike with panniers and camping gear. I weigh 88kilo. I had 32 spoke wheels. I did however install a 28c tyre on the back and a 25c on the front plus a £10 meagarange cassette. No problems. Rode down a lot of rough tracks and at one point across a ploughed field.
6243180164_1774dcc140_z.jpg

OP
OP
Jamieyorky

Jamieyorky

Veteran
I don't know why people are so against getting off and pushing. In the 60s we thought nothing of it. Bit steep? Hard going? Tired? Get off and push. No problem. Whats the big deal?
I've toured France with a cheap road bike with panniers and camping gear. I weigh 88kilo. I had 32 spoke wheels. I did however install a 28c tyre on the back and a 25c on the front plus a £10 meagarange cassette. No problems. Rode down a lot of rough tracks and at one point across a ploughed field.
6243180164_1774dcc140_z.jpg

Great thanks for that, im just going to give it a go, like you say if i need to i'll push ! :smile:

Kev Riddehough

Agree there's a few stuff little climbs but nothing major. I've done it twice once on a flat bar roadie carrying a fully loaded pannier with me and then on a full roadie no luggage but with gear and chain problems from Malham onwards, 2 gear options, small ring or big ring and it was still fine all the way. This route has become my firm favourite of all the coast to coast routes we've done. This year we're riding the TPT let's see how this measures up

Top Bottom