Dolan Preffisio Brake Drop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
I treated myself to a new Preffisio to replace my Halford's Carrera that'd died when the derailleur went into the spokes.
Problem I'm having is getting standard drop brakes to fit. Website says 48mm drop for the frame, and the web says the Dura-Ace 7800 calipers are up to 49mm. But I'm at least 2mm off them fitting, front and rear.
Other than filing the slot a bit, any ideas?

Citius

long drop calipers seem the obvious answer. Filing the slot would not be sensible in any way...

OP
OP
Svendo

Svendo

Guru
It's annoying as the website says 'standard drop calipers' and that's one reason I chose the frame. It also seems to come built with standard shimano calipers. I'm going to ring them on Monday and peck their heads a bit.
In the meantime I have some longer drop Tektros that aren't too bad I can use. But they're not my DAs.

The problem is annoying but the solution, if you only need 2mills, is a bit of filing. That section of the brake is not under stress in the direction of the slot and a bit of filing does no harm and poses no danger. Just polish and chamfer the hole off nicely afterwards so you don't introduce any stress risers.

Measure twice, file once.

OP
OP
Svendo

Svendo

Guru
I've emailed Dolan, so we'll see what they have to say (or perhaps not if other's experience of Dolan's response to emails is anything to go by!)

lpretro1

It seems very odd so I'd love to know the response!

OP
OP
Svendo

Svendo

Guru
I emailed Dolan and got a quick response. They said they do fit Shimano brakes to Prefissio's, but not Dura Ace. They suggested that I could return the frame along with the callipers I wanted to fit and they'd look at it.

Rather than disassemble the bike to courier it back I suggested I call there as it's about an 80 minute drive from my house. They were fine with that, so this morning I drove over to Ormskirk.

Turns out the frame and forks are as spec, the 105 callipers they usually fit were OK with my wheels, so the DA callipers are slightly shorter than they claim to be, although as written previously there's at most 2mm in it. They did offer to file out the callipers if I left them there, but I said if I choose to do that I'd enjoy doing it myself! Took about 20 minutes from arriving to leaving but I'm happy that I don't have a weird frame and fork that have an abnormal drop, and it's not being a twit somehow and getting it wrong.

I'll probably end up just using the Tektro callipers which'll probably work better once I've got the mudguards fitted.I had the bike in the trainer this afternoon and I'm pleased to say it all seems to work fine. For the record it's DA 7800 STIs, Tektro long drop brake callipers, DA 7800 FD, DA 7900 53-39 Chainset, DA7900 RD with some ebay lightweight jockey wheels, Ritchey WCS seat post, Selle San Marco Ponza saddle, Easton EA70 Aero Bars, Concept Stem (cane with the same focus the DA 7800 came with.) New cables and outers and bar tape.

Top Bottom