Domestic property CCTV set-up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I personally wouldn't touch a Nest system for either CCTV or heating, it is a dataminers dream.

Make sure the camera's are at least 960, as to having them covert complete waste of time the whole point is to move the scum down the road. They will see them anyway at night as the IR lights will be on so don't paint them black if you must paint then paint then red or yellow.

We currently have rc wired cameras but I'm moving over to IP with a Synology NAS powering them from a POE switch. The cameras are only £30 each & amazing quality.
I'm not about to go to nest, or subscribe to a cloud host service so no worries there, all footage will be stored on side on a HD.

I'm of the thought that security should generally be discreetly engineered in, i.e good doors, frames and locks, no hidden corners to allow thieves to work unnoticed etc. My theory is that nothing screams 'PROPERTY FULL OF VALUABLES' more than visible alarms, CCTV and multiple door locks. Security can always be defeated, but why attract their attention in the first place? I could be wrong.

Please can you convert the 'bolded text' bit of that into English for me?

D

Deleted member 26715

Think of the 960 as the number of pixels, the larger the number the better the image, but quite often the more expensive. With IP cameras just like traditional ones you need a DVR Digital Video Recorder to capture the images, you can have this as a standalone or use it in conjunction with something else. You can get free software to just run on a PC or what I have is a NAS Network Access Storage which I keep all my files on anyway fitted with 2x 2TB drives & they offer a Surveillance module for it, first 2 cameras free then license for any additional ones, it is a professional level system.

The cameras will need to be powered some way, so you can either do that locally with a 12V feed or you can use a POE (Power over Ethernet Switch) which uses 48V & sends it down the ethernet cable. Note that even WiFi cameras will have to be powered, I personally again would not use WiFi cameras as they can be jammed, but again that's just me.

These are the cameras I bought he'll take £30 plus 1 postage on them, he may do them cheaper might be worth a punt. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-2M...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 they are Onvif compatible which is a standard by which they can be interogated by a DVR. They do come with their own software but that runs on Windows which I don't use.

Brains

Legendary Member
To a burglar, all properties scream "Property full of valuables", some more than others.
The biggest giveaway is the (quality and number of) vehicles associated with the property
Visible Alarms/CCTV/Locks etc work of the 'Canadian campers' principal

Brains

Legendary Member
Two Canadian campers are going to bed in their tent in the forest.
One of the campers puts on his trainers before getting into his sleeping bag
"Why are you wearing shoes in bed ?" asks the other camper.
"In case a bear comes during the night, I can run away" he says
"You'll never outrun a bear" says the other
"I don't need to outrun the bear, I just need to outrun you!"

The moral of the story is your house security just needs to look better than your neighbours

D

Deleted member 26715

Two Canadian campers are going to bed in their tent in the forest.
One of the campers puts on his trainers before getting into his sleeping bag
"Why are you wearing shoes in bed ?" asks the other camper.
"In case a bear comes during the night, I can run away" he says
"You'll never outrun a bear" says the other
"I don't need to outrun the bear, I just need to outrun you!"

The moral of the story is your house security just needs to look better than your neighbours
I thought that was the Florida alligator story

Slick

Guru
This is one of my 3 cameras. Mrs Slick is a bit worried we catch anything from the neighbouring property so not set at a great angle

20190515175324439_0653ca8c1e9d4886b292d4bdb987edbc_C60654420.jpg

JhnBssll

Veteran
I use HIKVision gear. I've got 5 HD cameras and a 6TB networked storage drive. 3 different types of camera chosen for their specific locations, for example the one that covers the drive has far greater infrared range for night vision so it can see the cars clearly and the one inside the garage is quad HD so I can record the faces of the people trying to take my bicycles :ph34r::laugh: A good friend has a security business installing CCTV and alarms amongst other things and he swears by them. He warned me off the Swanns with tales of high camera failure rates.

Another useful bit of advice is to keep the amount of sky visible to an absolute minimum otherwise you'll damage the camera quite quickly. Also don't have two cameras looking at each other for the same reason, the IR lamps will blind the other camera :laugh:

siadwell

Guru
I have some super cheap camera that give me alerts/clips on my phone and store to an sd card in the device (obvious no good if they nick the camera). I am too tight to pay for the cloud storage, but the clips I get are enough. I can also look on on the camera any time I want. I have one in the garage (for the bikes) one in the hall and one on the driveway.

These ones inside - but they only cost me £15 each
This one outside - for £40

I am more than happy with them.

We have one of the indoor cameras - £17 well spent. It provides remarkably good coverage of the drive and sends alerts of visitors. Also use it to keep an eye on the dog when he's home alone.

If you really just want to find out who's trying your car doors, one of these set up temporarily might do the trick.

DRHysted

Guru
I’m running 2 of these https://www.screwfix.com/p/swann-swdvk-845804-uk-8-channel-1080p-cctv-dvr-kit-4-cameras/1394x with 2 extra cameras added on. I can check in/review anywhere where I have internet. I also receive emails if certain cameras are triggered (I leave them on motion sensors rather than waste hard drive space with continuously recording), and if the bike shed camera detects movement it sends a push notification straight to my phone. Over the internet it sends a lesser quality picture unless you alter it, attached is a screen grab I’ve just taken.

Attachments

• CE56FFA5-15C5-43F3-AC0D-0C4E5FCF4DCC.png
    CE56FFA5-15C5-43F3-AC0D-0C4E5FCF4DCC.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom