Don’t “recommend me”

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here's an oldie but goodie:
Jane while Joan had had had had had had had had had had had better marks from the teacher.

Lexical and syntactic ambiguity are surprisingly common in English; in writing, correct punctuation helps avoid it and in speech, stress, general intonation and word order is the solution.

The sign maker made sure there was enough space between Marks and and and and and Spencer.

The sign maker made sure there was enough space between Marks and "and" and "and" and Spencer.

LOL!

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
No of course not. Unless you say to someone 'give me to ...' (the hungry unfed lions, the Queen ...)

Just as if you say 'bring me ...' you are not saying that you wish to be brought (to justice, maybe?)
I agree.

But then I don't see why you are taking exception to "recommend me ..." (a good restaurant, for example). Use of "to" with an indirect object is often optional.

I agree.

But then I don't see why you are taking exception to "recommend me ..." (a good restaurant, for example).

To reduce ambiguity, which can lead to all sorts of problems. In some contexts it's fine and in others, not so much. We have no context here, and when teaching foreign language students, they often make errors in context. Always better to avoid ambiguity!
And sometime it just sounds clumsy and imprecise.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
To reduce ambiguity, which can lead to all sorts of problems. In some contexts it's fine and in others, not so much. We have no context here, and when teaching foreign language students, they often make errors in context. Always better to avoid ambiguity!
And sometime it just sounds clumsy and imprecise.
OK, though I don't remember any of my students finding that ambiguous - omitting the preposition when an indirect object precedes a direct object is a common enough construction.

When I say to them "Make me a cup of tea", they don't think I'm asking to be transformed into Earl Grey. :smile:

Top Bottom