1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

don't be palmed off with drugs

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by bonj2, 12 Sep 2007.

1. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

Just though i'd share my experiences of this morning's little trip to the doctor's.
    I have had a dodgy knee for a while now, whenever I put pressure on it it hurts very slightly right on the front of the knee-cap, I wouldn't really call it pain so much as a twinge, so can live with it comfortably, but wouldn't mind getting it sorted as some days its worse than others and borders on pain.
    My mum highly recommended the physiotherapist she went to for a back problem so highly that since then my bro and dad have also gone to him, so I thought i'd give him a try aswell. I thought I might even be able to claim it back off westfield, so I phoned them up and said I could claim back 75% but only if i got a GP's recommendation first. So I made an appointment for this morning, and when I got in to see the GP, a wispy-haired asian fella, it went a bit along the lines of
    "Hmmm...., i've got a bit of a dodgy knee, it hurts a bit when i put pressure on it, right on the front of the knee-cap, and I was wondering if you could write me a recommendation for going to a really good physio that my mum knows."
    "Well I don't know about that, I don't think physio would be what you need."
    "Well, he is very good, and I am going to go to him anyway, so you might aswell."
    "just roll your trousers up." (I did, and he looks at my knees and calves for about 4 seconds.)
    "
    "Well, it's probably that ligament that goes right down the front of your leg." (no shoot sherlock...)
    "I can feel it when i'm cycling a bit, aswell, and when i'm playing squash."
    "Ah! well, you have to stop doing that my friend. When you be cycling on level surface that ok but up a hill it cause it."
    "Hmmm... I still get it when I haven't cycled or done anything strenuous for a while though. So are you saying I should lay in bed all day, maybe that will cure it?"
    "No! that be counter productive. We tell back patients not to lay in bed all day because it be counter productive."
    (all the while he's tapping stuff into his computer, and I can see the next bit he's typing is about what drugs he thinks i should have)
    "er... i'm not sure tablets are really the best thing for me, you know."
    "Well you not know until you have tried them will you."
    "So what are they, ibuprofen?"
    "No, they're stronger than ibuprofen. They're presecription anti-inflammatories."
    "But I haven't got an inflammation, that's not the problem. I need to go to a physio, I know what I need, I just need you to write me a recommendation for it."
    "But the physio he might not be able to see you for month."
    "Well that's ok, but can you not write me a recommendation for this one I already know of, so I can go to him."
    "Oh, private? well, I can't do that. But if you really want I can refer you to the one here, it will cost you nothing."
    "ok, thanks."
    (at this point he's backspacing out the bit he's typed about drugs and is putting 'wants to go to physio. referring.')
    "Here give this in at reception."
    "ok, thanks doctor. cheers"

!
    So it just goes to show you needn't be palmed off with drugs if you know that isn't the best thing for you. I think there's a vicious circle nowadays, of people being far too happy to be palmed off with drugs, and GPs being overly keen to dole them out because of the commercial muscle of the drugs companies pushing them.
    I think it's also a bit of a travesty how under the labour government the real health professionals that actually do things to sort people's bodies out like chiropractors and physiotherapists are normally private and have to be paid for, not to mention they still have a bit of a reputation as witch-doctors, but the GPs who are basically just a front-end for glaxo-smithkline or whatever, that don't ever actually do anything of benefit or fix you, are the ones that you have to go and see first unless you want to get your chequebook out.

But the moral of the story is if you stick to your guns and know what you want and aren't afraid to insist on it, you will get it.

2. Indeed. Request that you see a different doctor at your GPs surgery. Sometimes you just have to keep going back and argue until you're blue in the face to get what you want. We have had the same with ours over various ailments.

3. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Shame, you should've got the drugs mate. You never know when they will come in handy on a Friday night out!!

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

What if the physio tells you to go back to the GP for a course of anti-inflammatories?

5. Well, assuming you have Patellar Tendinopathy or Patellofemoral Syndrome (chondramalacia patellae), your physio might well tell you to take a NSAID like ibuprofen or diclofenac (Voltarol)

See http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/index.php, just one of the sites where you can have fun trying to self-analyse your injury

6. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

You sure it was drugs for your knees he was tryin got get you to take. Could you read Ritalin upside down?

7. OP
    OP
    bonj2

bonj2 Guest

Because it's in his best interest to cure me, not to make bonuses off drugs companies.

8. OP
    OP
    bonj2

bonj2 Guest

It does sound a bit ridiculous taking drugs for your knees doesn't it...

9. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

Au contraire Bonj. I would like to take NSAIDS or Voltarol for my (much operated, arthritic) knee but cannot do so because of another inflammatory disease I have.

10. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

Well, might take your mind off it!:smile:

11. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

And what if the cure required prescribing anti-inflammatories?

12. OP
    OP
    bonj2

bonj2 Guest

It won't, because i haven't got an inflammation.

13. pzycoman

pzycoman New Member

And you know this how exactly?

14. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

Because Bonj is a medical expert (as well as being an expert on everything else) of course....

15. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

Do you really believe that Drs just take backhanders off of drug companies all the time, and the main choice for prescribing the particular drug is based on how much money they can get off drug companies?

Most Drs now have limited choice in which product to prescribe in any given situation. This restriction is because PCTs have in place quite strict formularies, based almost entirely on the cost of products. When a Dr types in, say ibuprofen, he will be presented with a list of options. They will all be generic, and will be offered in the form of white tablet, enteric coated tablet, capsule (cheapest-most expensive). He will also highly recomend that you nip to Tesco and buy your own for 16p. The individual Dr will have no scope for actually making any money (unless he is a dispensing Dr, which is when the Drs surgery works as a retail pharmacist in essence). The government has also begun to squeeze the real money makers in the chain, the retail pharmacies, in various ways.

I am afraid the days of individual Drs making cash money and being taken on lavish trips abroad etc are gone.

On the other hand, there are situations where Drs are charging a "referral fee" to therapists in their local area. So inadvertantly, you may have made the GP some money from a referral, and saved him some penalties (financial) from the PCT on his prescribing costs!!!!!

All is not always as it seems Bonj.

BTW my wife is a physio, and she will exam your knee for £45.00