Don't believe what they all say about "weight".

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
So I agree with you to a point, but as soon as it gets steep it's a totally different ball game gav :thumbsup:
And I couldn't agree more with you and that goes for every one. Only true climbers can substain prolonged effort over very steep gradients. :hello:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Still not understanding this are you?

gam001

Über Member
And I couldn't agree more with you and that goes for every one. Only true climbers can substain prolonged effort over very steep gradients. :hello:
When there's lots of hills involved gav, it's all about PWR - it just is pal - it's the laws of physics. EG I'm sure Cancellara could maintain more power on a sustained climb than Wiggo could, but he's a lot heavier and will therefore (and does) go slower on lumpy terrain (although he then has to descend like a demon to try to catch up!).

Hip Priest

Veteran
I am a fat cyclist (6ft 2, 16.5st), but I also consider myself relatively fit, as I can do a flattish 20 mile TT in an hour, and I've got a resting HR of 41.

However, where my weight really hinders me is on climbs.

I suffer on anything from 10-15% and if it gets any steeper than that, it's the walk of shame, even with a 34-26t.

I should try to lose weight really, but I love bad food and booze too much!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I think its completely pointless making assumptions about other riders you pass or get passed by on the road. The thin racer you overtook could be recovering from illness the fat guy that passes you could be an ex olympic champion . Or just a fat guy sprinting round a very short route.

Bill-H

slow and steady
I have lost a stone since Christmas hills are easier i find i can now do some in big ring i used to use granny ring on however i still use granny ring on others but my average speed is usually the same downhills are as slow as usual fear factor

Hip Priest

Veteran
I think its completely pointless making assumptions about other riders you pass or get passed by on the road. The thin racer you overtook could be recovering from illness the fat guy that passes you could be an ex olympic champion . Or just a fat guy sprinting round a very short route.

Talking about assumptions, I was in hospital recently and a nurse taking my blood pressure remarked that I had a low HR. I said "I know" and she asked "Did you used to be really fit or something?" Ha!

ayceejay

Guru
The OP's premise seems to be a logical fallacy. I am fat - I overtook a skinny guy - therefore fat cyclists are faster than skinny cyclists.

Top Bottom