Don't go up there!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Sure, although to be honest I thought it as obvious as the balls on a dog. There is bit of a disconnect between your personal safety-conscious staying alive persona and your getting off on the frison of danger one.
OK, I see your point, but I don't get off on the danger. I don't see a certain level of having to react quickly to other road users' erratic behaviour as a major risk. Slightly stimulating, certainly, but enjoyable, challenging and satisfying. I suppose that is a bit of a paradox. By the way, having posted stuff elsewhere about "the buzz", I'm acutely aware that I'm tempting Fate. I was extra careful today.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't feel completely in control. I'm not so arrogant that I think that I can't come to grief, but I will accept some risk. That's a personal decision that I would not want my family or Boris bikers etc to have to make. I should campaign more. You are right.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I don't feel completely in control. I'm not so arrogant that I think that I can't come to grief, but I will accept some risk. That's a personal decision that I would not want my family or Boris bikers etc to have to make. I should campaign more. You are right.
In motorcycle terms you come across the definitions of the verb to filter
I filter,
He wobbles,
They weave like a bastard.
or some such.
Perceived risk is a very odd thing and quite personal to the vehicle you are on, its characteristics, and how comfortable you are with it. Hence cars will rarely try manoeuvres that motorbikes would be happy with, cycles may do stuff motorbikers would think insane, etc. It's why when you are driving down the motorway you see motorbikes filtering at 70. It's because at 30-50 filtering seems normal and you can easily get in to a position where the general traffic has sped up and 70 seems normal, until you realise what you are doing and you are going to get nicked for it.
While I'm very careful with traffic moving in my direction on the bicycle, I sometimes find myself taking gaps with traffic coming towards me that I'd consider tight on other transport.
It's an odd thing.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Indeed, courtesy of BSNYC

I hadn't seen that rollers fail vid before, it's heartbreaking. The slow walk of shame and resignation whilst clutching an injured elbow was wonderfully effective, the bike left on the floor next to the soon to be gathering dust against the wall rollers is such a powerfully touching image that it brought a lump to my throat. Thank you w00hoo that was really quite beautiful and desperately sad.

Reactions: _aD
Top Bottom