Don't go up there!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Your suggestion about the indicating, or lack of it, was ridiculous. In order to know that the truck, despite not indicating, was going to turn left and would be endangering the cyclist would involve mind reading. Thanks for the kind thanks anyway.

What are you on about? When did I say anything about not going up the inside of a truck because it's going to turn left even though it isn't indicating? (Hint: I didn't.)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Your suggestion about the indicating, or lack of it, was ridiculous. In order to know that the truck, despite not indicating, was going to turn left and would be endangering the cyclist would involve mind reading. Thanks for the kind thanks anyway.
Many times drivers do not indicate, indicate late or indicate using the wrong signal.
I would have waited.
Then again I see many cyclist in the wrong road position for where they are going, again I would wait (or ask) before colliding with them.

Wobblers

Euthermic
I think I was quite clear about this, so I'm not going to derail the thread any further by trying to explain it to you.

Patronising and evasive. Well done! YellowTim will be proud.

You seem to think that the tipper truck driver indicating late is the only issue. It is not. The driver could have decided to barge into the next lane - the rear would probably swing out and crush any cyclist there. He could have veered left even if he were going straight on - there's so little room that any cyclist there would inevitably go under the wheels with even a few centimetre deviation. The cyclist could have ended up getting a rucksack or clothing entangled in the truck - same result. There are 101 different things that could have happened, and not all of them can be blamed on the driver.

But since you seem to be so hung on his late signalling, how many drivers don't bother signalling at lights? 10%? 20%? A significant fraction. It does not require "mind reading" to suspect the possibility that the truck will be turning left, merely observation that many drivers don't indicate, hence anticipating that this is a very possible outcome. And, yes, yes, yes, no one should have to anticipate this. But that isn't going to save any cyclist going down there. And really, I should not have to explain this to you, should I?

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm sure every cyclist on here who also drives indicates every intention long before the event, cos we are all perfect unlike every other driver on the roads....yeah right :rolleyes: it's still potential suicide to choose to cycle through a teeny gap up the inside of a truck/bus/van where there's a concrete barrier to the left

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Um, if you make assumptions about where drivers are going based on lack of indicators, I'm honestly surprised you've lived this long.

I don't think she means that she gambles her life on it. It's perfectly reasonable, however, to expect drivers to indicate their intentions. As in 'England expects...'

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I think the problem here is that trying to find any justification for why the two cyclists did what they did in the video clip might be a noble thing to do, but is on a hiding to nothing because it's pretty obvious they just weren't thinking through the possible consequences of their actions. Nothing bad happened, because often it doesn't even though it could. Let's be thankful for that and hope they don't do it again, although the odds are they will after all it's not like anything bad happened...

Top Bottom