Dont let abuse from motorists spoil your day.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

apollo179

Courtesy + consideration.
Alien concepts it appears to some.
Ultimately it is in the cyclists interest more than the motorists that there is 2 way courtesy and consideration. Cyclists being incourteous riding 2 abreast may annoy a motorist by holding him up for a short while but a cyclist could be killed by a driver showing the same lack of courtesy.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
As long as it works both ways it is great. Some cyclists some neither, some drivers so neither. When those too meet then light the touch paper and stand well clear.
Courtesy + consideration.
Alien concepts it appears to some.

apollo179

I didnt really understand that.
We as cyclists can only be responsible for our own behaviour. But i suggest courtesy and consideration on our part will engendour the same in return. Win win.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Ultimately it is in the cyclists interest more than the motorists that there is 2 way courtesy and consideration. Cyclists being incourteous riding 2 abreast may annoy a motorist by holding him up for a short while but a cyclist could be killed by a driver showing the same lack of courtesy.
Whoah, back up. Omitting to kill someone is not "courteous", it's the bare minimum baseline behaviour we should expect. Holding the door open for someone following you is courteous, failing to do so is uncourteous, but if you're slamming it in their face and breaking their nose then we need to find different words (like "evil", "illegal" or "dangerous") to describe that, because "courtesy" is about going above and beyond the expected minimum behaviour, not just about meeting it

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Amen to that!

Whoah, back up. Omitting to kill someone is not "courteous", it's the bare minimum baseline behaviour we should expect. Holding the door open for someone following you is courteous, failing to do so is uncourteous, but if you're slamming it in their face and breaking their nose then we need to find different words (like "evil", "illegal" or "dangerous") to describe that, because "courtesy" is about going above and beyond the expected minimum behaviour, not just about meeting it

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Well I know of at least one case where a motorist abused a cyclist. The cyclist spend ages searching for the car. When he found it he smashed every wind and turned it over onto its' roof. The guy had serious issues and was also built like the proverbial outhouse. Lucky he didn't find the driver.

I find find your kowtow to the car attitude a little strange and somewhat sad. We should be trying to educate drivers of cyclists rights where possible not reenforcing the belief that they are the only vehicles with a right to use the roads.
Indeed the motorist loses a couple of seconds getting home - the cyclist loses his life. Im glad you finally get it.

apollo179

Mutual courtesy and consideration. What part dont you understand.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The part where mutual courtesy involves kowtowing to the car all the time. If the car is an emergency vehicle of course you make as much space as possible. If it is a Sunday driver out for a blast in his sports car why shouldn't the cyclists ride safely and legally on the road. As a point of interest a cyclist holding primary should be treated in the same way as two riding abreast.
Mutual courtesy and consideration. What part dont you understand.

apollo179

Mutual courtesy and consideration involves just that. Mutual courtesy and consideration. As i said before sadly alien concepts to some of our fellow cyclists. It is regrettable that we all pay the price for them.

But it shouldn't be about what's legal. It should be about consideration for others. Shooting a welshman with a longbow is still legal under certain circumstances. Although it would be deemed most inconsiderate to do so.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
That's why people keep shooting me. :biggrin: I am not saying riding two abreast at all times is the thing to do but I am saying it is safer on many occasions than riding in single file as was pointed out in post #33.
But it shouldn't be about what's legal. It should be about consideration for others. Shooting a welshman with a longbow is still legal under certain circumstances. Although it would be deemed most inconsiderate to do so.

Top Bottom