Don't prosecute older drivers who run red lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
you may call it "topspin", I call it downright distortion/game playing. I've been around long enough to know about it though. So I very often used to read the tabloid headlines and then skip to the bottom and start reading up from there. Very often the real story was right right at the bottom, maybe in the penultimate para - at which point I could just throw it back on the tube seat I'd picked the trash up from. Save myself the bother of reading the vast swathes in the middle.
Of course many readers wouldn't get as far as the bottom, or would even miss the rather subtle bit which basically told you that the entire story was crap/a waste of toilet time.
The bit at the bottom is of course the tabloid journo's defence - "well I did give you facts".
Well yes but not in a meaningful way, one that suited me rather than the rag.
Just the same as happens in political reporting.:angry:

Just the same as happens in political reporting.:angry:
corporates do it as well of course.
I well remember press releases headlined with things like:

400 jobs saved.

read down and you find 600 have gone as part of the same triumph.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Being 86 years old and still driving regularly I obviously have an interest in this.
I do not run red lights tho' I have seen other younger drivers do this so I see no need for discrimination. All should be treated the same regardless of age.
There could be a case for medical checks but hard to say at what age as everyone is different.
I have certainly known some people who were unfit to drive due to age degeneration but a medical would pick this out easily.

D

Deleted member 1258

FIL was a liability in his later years - the amount of 'bills' we found from Chips away after his death was incredible - he was hiding the fact he kept 'bumping' the car.

An elderly friend of our was forced to stop driving by her family a couple of years ago, their driving standard had dropped away a lot and in the end the family said enough its time to stop.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
you may call it "topspin", I call it downright distortion/game playing. I've been around long enough to know about it though. So I very often used to read the tabloid headlines and then skip to the bottom and start reading up from there. Very often the real story was right right at the bottom, maybe in the penultimate para - at which point I could just throw it back on the tube seat I'd picked the trash up from. Save myself the bother of reading the vast swathes in the middle.
Of course many readers wouldn't get as far as the bottom, or would even miss the rather subtle bit which basically told you that the entire story was crap/a waste of toilet time.
The bit at the bottom is of course the tabloid journo's defence - "well I did give you facts".
Well yes but not in a meaningful way, one that suited me rather than the rag.

Steady one, the second par says older drivers should have their 'skills reassessed instead'.

Don't shoot the messenger - it's the task force that's come up with idea.

Brandane

Legendary Member
This would in effect be saying "Yes, you knew exactly what you were doing and it was not an error bought on by decrepitude. You are free to go and do it again".
Ah, but... you would only qualify under this scheme if you "accidentally" went through a red light, whatever that means :wacko:.

Motorists aged 70 and above who are caught accidentally running a red light or unnecessarily slow driving should have their skills assessed instead, they said, rather than facing hefty fines or even prosecution

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
Being 86 years old and still driving regularly I obviously have an interest in this.
I do not run red lights tho' I have seen other younger drivers do this so I see no need for discrimination. All should be treated the same regardless of age.
There could be a case for medical checks but hard to say at what age as everyone is different.
I have certainly known some people who were unfit to drive due to age degeneration but a medical would pick this out easily.

^^THIS^^. I'm 70 and know that it could be me who, soon has to give up my licence.
At the moment I, and my wife, who will grab hold of the seat if anything looks amiss, agree I'm fine! However she had to give up her licence following a brain abscess operation and has been advised by her optician that she should not apply to regain it. It happens.

Alex321

Veteran
Why should they be given that benefit, when younger drivers would be penalised instead? If its such a great casualty reduction idea then why is it not being universally suggested?
I think most drivers for a first offence will get the option of a course don't they?

Or is that only for speeding offences?

I like this! I think the starting point for all offences should be a 28 day ban, and none of this hardship bollards. If you're needing your car for something critical then its up to you to not abuse the privelege, not up to the courts and socitymto accommodate your offending.

I do think the points system is fine, but there really shouldn't be any way to get out of a ban if you accumulate 12. People make mistakes, but having done so, and got points, there is no excuse for not learning from those mistakes.

Steady one, the second par says older drivers should have their 'skills reassessed instead'.

Don't shoot the messenger - it's the task force that's come up with idea.
well yes this one wasn't as bad as many - and it is of course very common* - the info came relatively soon - the headline, which Drago spluttered his morning coffee over, is hyped though - though the journo can always blame that on someone else.

* little new in the world of course - now called clickbait I think.

I stress I'm not blaming/shooting the taskforce - their proposals may have merit.

(by the by I plead guilty to once amassing a fair few points very quickly and ending up in front of a court)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
^^THIS^^. I'm 70 and know that it could be me who, soon has to give up my licence.
At the moment I, and my wife, who will grab hold of the seat if anything looks amiss, agree I'm fine! However she had to give up her licence following a brain abscess operation and has been advised by her optician that she should not apply to regain it. It happens.
I should add that I know my limitations and will not drive anywhere which I regard as dangerous.
St James Interchange on the M8 is one example because I am now unfamiliar with the area and could be a blamed for any incident due to old age. The volume and speed of traffic is something I and a lot of younger people here are not familiar with.
A nurse in her 40's admitted to me that she would not drive further than Dumbarton due to fear of traffic volume and speed.
I would however drive to Gartnavel Hospital in Glasgow because it is straightforward and an area I am familiar with but not to any other hospital in Glasgow even tho' in the past I have driven to all of them. Traffic and road layout has changed since then and local knowledge is really needed to be in the correct lane at the right time.
In the past also I drove commercial vans and I think got more leeway in an unfamiliar area.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
the headline, which Drago spluttered his morning coffee over, is hyped though - though the journo can always blame that on someone else.
I don't think it's hyped

The headline is Older drivers ‘should escape prosecution for running red lights’

It's in quotes, meaning someone said it ("The Older Drivers Task Force")
It is accurate, but omits "provided that they submit to a reassessment".

Can you come up with a snappy headline that isn't hyped?

How about "Reassessment proposed as alternative to prosecution for older traffic offenders"

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Ah, but... you would only qualify under this scheme if you "accidentally" went through a red light, whatever that means :wacko:.
I agree that slow drivers can be a hazard particularly on main A roads and they are a menace causing some to make unsafe overtaking decisions.
I once on the A85 had to wait for about 5 miles at 30mph to get an overtaking opportunity. Having finally got past and speeded up just before Taynuilt I was then pulled over in the village for a routine lights and tyres check. While this was happening the Ba----d got past and I was behind him the whole way into Oban.:angry:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I agree that slow drivers can be a hazard particularly on main A roads and they are a menace causing some to make unsafe overtaking decisions.
I once on the A85 had to wait for about 5 miles at 30mph to get an overtaking opportunity. Having finally got past and speeded up just before Taynuilt I was then pulled over in the village for a routine lights and tyres check. While this was happening the Ba----d got past and I was behind him the whole way into Oban.:angry:
I understand what you're saying, as I live on the Clyde coast and most days on the A78 either north or south of here you will find yourself in a 30mph traffic snake, despite the road being perfectly safe to get near the 60mph limit. But all it takes is one selfish nobber to be more interested in admiring the view than actually driving properly.
However, selfishness apart, they aren't CAUSING anyone to make unsafe overtaking decisions. That is purely down to the person doing the overtaking.
Personally I would like to see more prosecutions of the dawdling drivers under section 3 of the Road Traffic Act, i.e. driving without reasonable consideration for other road users. But I know it will never happen, other than in extreme cases.

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Traffic and road layout has changed since then and local knowledge is really needed to be in the correct lane at the right time.
A crystal ball would also be helpful when driving in unfamiliar areas. My pet hate (ok, ok; another one) is the use of direction arrows painted on the road at roundabouts or traffic light junctions. No other signs giving guidance as to which lane leads where, until you are on top of them as they were covered by other traffic. By which time it's too late and no-one is going to let you change lanes. This is particularly entertaining when driving an artic, as I found out on a regular basis :ohmy:.

Rather than wait for another 3 years to yank the license, beating the red light is now a trigger for an assessment and the possibility of yanking the license for good. Much earlier seems to be the suggestion. But it came out as giving the elderly a pass in view of their age.

Maybe better to fine them as well as trigger an assessment for those above 70.

Top Bottom