Don't prosecute older drivers who run red lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A lot of posts but is this actually a real problem, rather than an occasional occurrence? While driving I don't remember ever being stuck behind a slow moving vehicle other than agricultural vehicles, heavy loads, horses or bicycles. And if I have, I'll have forgotten about it because I overtook them as soon as it was safe.

I'm not denying that it does happen, from time to time. But is it actually a widespread problem worth bothering about - apart from the odd occasion when you finish your journey and have a quick swear about being stuck behind some idiot and then get on with your life?

Brandane

Legendary Member
A lot of posts but is this actually a real problem, rather than an occasional occurrence? While driving I don't remember ever being stuck behind a slow moving vehicle other than agricultural vehicles, heavy loads, horses or bicycles. And if I have, I'll have forgotten about it because I overtook them as soon as it was safe.

I'm not denying that it does happen, from time to time. But is it actually a widespread problem worth bothering about - apart from the odd occasion when you finish your journey and have a quick swear about being stuck behind some idiot and then get on with your life?
I suppose it depends where you drive. Locally, it IS a problem, but we attract a lot of visitors who as I previously posted, are more interested in admiring the views than driving their car.
This is why I avoid cycling on these roads like the plague. I would much rather take a safe pass from a car moving at 60 mph driven by someone who knows what they are doing and is concentrating on their driving, rather than some duffer who is doing 35 mph while looking at the nice ship out on the river, then...... ooops; sorry cyclist! :ohmy:. They are clueless, selfish, and dangerous. IMHO, of course :okay:.

6 weeks after passing my driving test at 17 I went on a RoSPA advanced driving course. As a new driver and member of the road safety group my first m training drive was solo with the main instructor, an advanced techniques police driving instructor who n trains in police driving but also traffic training. I still remember him saying that if any manoeuvre you did as a driver resulted in another driver having to react by speeding up or slowing down then it's technically an offence. I try to bear that in mind when I'm driving.

Alex321

Veteran
6 weeks after passing my driving test at 17 I went on a RoSPA advanced driving course. As a new driver and member of the road safety group my first m training drive was solo with the main instructor, an advanced techniques police driving instructor who n trains in police driving but also traffic training. I still remember him saying that if any manoeuvre you did as a driver resulted in another driver having to react by speeding up or slowing down then it's technically an offence. I try to bear that in mind when I'm driving.
I don't believe that is quite correct though. If, for instance, you slow to 30mph as you enter a 30 limit, and the vehicle behind you then has to slow to 30mph as well, you are surely not committing an offence then. Nor are you committing an offence if you stop fopr a pedestrian at a zebra crossing and the car behind you has to slow as a result.

It is about unnecessarily causing inconvenience to others.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't believe that is quite correct though. If, for instance, you slow to 30mph as you enter a 30 limit, and the vehicle behind you then has to slow to 30mph as well, you are surely not committing an offence then. Nor are you committing an offence if you stop fopr a pedestrian at a zebra crossing and the car behind you has to slow as a result.

Beat me to it. I was going to say something a bit stronger than "not quite correct".

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I understand what you're saying, as I live on the Clyde coast and most days on the A78 either north or south of here you will find yourself in a 30mph traffic snake, despite the road being perfectly safe to get near the 60mph limit. But all it takes is one selfish nobber to be more interested in admiring the view than actually driving properly.
However, selfishness apart, they aren't CAUSING anyone to make unsafe overtaking decisions. That is purely down to the person doing the overtaking.
Personally I would like to see more prosecutions of the dawdling drivers under section 3 of the Road Traffic Act, i.e. driving without reasonable consideration for other road users. But I know it will never happen, other than in extreme cases.
I used to drive the coast road down from Gourock fairly often for weekends further south. I know it reasonably well.

While driving as in normal motion. Of course not stopping for hazards or pedestrians on a crossing, etc. I think that's a little nitpicking, the basic idea behind that is valid. You're not showing down to 30mph before entering the 30mph zone through choice. Not your decision if you're a law obeying and regulation following driver.

I suspect he probably used make or made instead of resulted. It was a simple way of explaining consideration of other drivers in that your actions force them to take a action they wouldn't have if you weren't there. They'd stop for pedestrians but they'd not be doing 30mph in a wide open, 60mph, A road in good conditions and visibility. By driving like that you're modifying others in an inconsiderate way.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
While driving as in normal motion. Of course not stopping for hazards or pedestrians on a crossing, etc. I think that's a little nitpicking, the basic idea behind that is valid. You're not showing down to 30mph before entering the 30mph zone through choice. Not your decision if you're a law obeying and regulation following driver.

I suspect he probably used make or made instead of resulted. It was a simple way of explaining consideration of other drivers in that your actions force them to take a action they wouldn't have if you weren't there. They'd stop for pedestrians but they'd not be doing 30mph in a wide open, 60mph, A road in good conditions and visibility. By driving like that you're modifying others in an inconsiderate way.
You're turning to a minor road on the right against oncoming traffic on two lane road. You position yourself to the centre/right, indicator on, waiting for a gap. Car behind has to stop and wait, and they wouldn't have done if you were not there.

You're on a roundabout, car approaches the roundabout and has to stop and yield to you, and wouldn't have done if you were not there.

There are tons of things that road users do that other road users have to react to.

swansonj

Guru
While driving I don't remember ever being stuck behind a slow moving vehicle other than agricultural vehicles, heavy loads, horses or bicycles. ....
To which list of vehicles going slower than some people want we could add: traction engines, vintage cars, towing vehicles, and people driving slowly to save fuel.

Roads are a shared public space, not the private domain of motorists labouring under the delusion of entitlement. I still find it extraordinary that cyclists, of all people, should be encouraging the might-is-right, get-out-of-my-way approach to roads.

Alex321

Veteran
To which list of vehicles going slower than some people want we could add: traction engines, vintage cars, towing vehicles, and people driving slowly to save fuel.

Roads are a shared public space, not the private domain of motorists labouring under the delusion of entitlement. I still find it extraordinary that cyclists, of all people, should be encouraging the might-is-right, get-out-of-my-way approach to roads.
Where do y0ou see anybody encouraging that?

I certainly don't see it.

Do you really believe that being considerate of other road users is somehow doing so? And therefore we shouldn't do it?

Brandane

Legendary Member
I still find it extraordinary that cyclists, of all people, should be encouraging the might-is-right, get-out-of-my-way approach to roads.
Would you mind very much quoting ANYTHING in this thread which is encouraging what you allege?
Rather than just twisting words to suit your agenda.

DRM

Guru
A crystal ball would also be helpful when driving in unfamiliar areas. My pet hate (ok, ok; another one) is the use of direction arrows painted on the road at roundabouts or traffic light junctions. No other signs giving guidance as to which lane leads where, until you are on top of them as they were covered by other traffic. By which time it's too late and no-one is going to let you change lanes. This is particularly entertaining when driving an artic, as I found out on a regular basis :ohmy:.
You and me both, the person who decided to remove the lane signs should be tarred, feathered and have freezing water tipped over them and left outside on a frosty night, it’s all well and good for locals who know the area, but if your new to the area your stuffed and nobody will let you out,even when the layout of junctions is totally not a standard type of left lane for left and straight on, right lane to turn right only

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
No-one has any "right" to do anything on the road. It is all subject to the law, mostly under the Road Traffic Act. Which states that it is against the law to drive without reasonable consideration for other road users. Interpret that however you like, but it is generally accepted in the courts that anyone driving in a manner which falls short of the level of competence required to pass the DVSA driving test, can be held to be driving without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other road users.
If you go out and sit your driving test, and drive at 30 mph on a road with a 60 mph limit, and where it is clear and safe to drive near to that limit, you will fail your test! @gavroche ??
In a driving test situation, that is correct, you will fail your test because you are expected to drive at, or close to the speed limit if it is safe to so.

Top Bottom