Don't prosecute older drivers who run red lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
In a driving test situation, that is correct, you will fail your test because you are expected to drive at, or close to the speed limit if it is safe to so.
That’s true, even if the road is wholly unsuitable to drive at the speed limit on, there’s one near me that an examiner uses in order to fail people, 40 mph narrow country road, with an even narrower bridge over the M1, then a triple bend past a golf club, that old duffers just pull out of followed by a tight right hand bend.

simongt

Guru
You can add to that, "or changing direction".....
But of course, I don't need to use indicators, because I know where I'm going, so I assume that everyone else does - ! :rofl:

You're not in normal motion
You're turning to a minor road on the right against oncoming traffic on two lane road. You position yourself to the centre/right, indicator on, waiting for a gap. Car behind has to stop and wait, and they wouldn't have done if you were not there.

You're on a roundabout, car approaches the roundabout and has to stop and yield to you, and wouldn't have done if you were not there.

There are tons of things that road users do that other road users have to react to.
OK. First you're not in normal motion but stationary waiting to turn. His point was about your motion causing the reaction such as pulling out in front of a car.

Second the car has a should with stopping to give way to the right, section 185 of the highway code iirc. The car to the right isn't making stopped car stop that's the highway code and normal motion for that car. If that car came straight out it would cause the car on the right to slow or stop their normal motion.

I bet there's loads of valid reasons cars stop for other cars check the highway code for them. I bet the advice the cop gave me isn't 100% valid but the idea behind it of driving with consideration of other road users is very important. He was teaching a fresh motorist less than 2 months out from getting a full licence. I'm not even sure I had that back. I doubt I'd be receptive to a lecture on highway code and the law behind it.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
You fail to give way when you pull out and you cause another vehicle to brake or alter course to avoid colliding with you. I think that's what some are thinking of here.

Alex321

Veteran
You fail to give way when you pull out and you cause another vehicle to brake or alter course to avoid colliding with you. I think that's what some are thinking of here.
Why do you think "some are thinking of" anything in that regard?

One person said his instructor stated you were technically committing an offence if you cause another driver to brake or change course. Everybody else has said that isn't always true.

D

Deleted member 1258

I agree all unsafe drivers should be taken off the road, regardless of age.

But I have a little sympathy for the doddery old coffin dodgers, possible because the day I become one draws ever nearer.

That'll creep up on you, one day you'll look in the mirror and wonder who that old person staring back at you is, then you'll realize, I've been there done that.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That'll creep up on you, one day you'll look in the mirror and wonder who that old person staring back at you is, then you'll realize, I've been there done that.

I suppose simply reaching that stage should be celebrated given the numbers of us who die before our time.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
So 30mph on a 60mph limit main road and not pulling over for traffic behind is ok? I have seen various accidents reported over time where that was the main cause.
I have a timetable deadline to meet and should be able to maintain a reasonable speed on a main road.

No you shouldn't and don't, but you're no means on your own. All you drivers share the road with every other user so don't drive like you own it.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Nothing wrong with a bit of topspin, but it's rather worrying a trained investigator has fallen for it.

Those out-of-context headlines really light to be curtailed. There are people who talk this way and only when delving in deep (aka wasting time trying to find out the truth when they could be a lot more forthcoming in the first place) does the real story come out.

Fat Lars

When you reach the age of 70 and then for every 3 years after that you have to self certify whether or not you have various conditions. If you have previously had those conditions or if you have declared those conditions previously then have they got worse and give details if affirmative. Regarding eyesight wearing glasses and a recent eye test is acceptable. From this declaration an assessment is made on your suitability to drive. If you have lied then you can be fined. If you fail and are rejected then should you be able to cycle on the roads? Just a thought.

Top Bottom