Don't ride in groups or we will be stopped cycling completely.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd give the government until the end of this month, before I reckon compliance will start to plummet. If Johnson turns around in the next week or so and says "right, on 30th April, it's over. Everything re-opens on 1st May, pubs open, business open, school open, football back on, go out and enjoy yourself, and thanks for what you're doing to help in the meantime" then he'll keep the vast majority on board in the meantime.
On the other hand, if they keep trying to extend this disruption because they're still getting a few thousand more cases a day and a few hundred more deaths a day, whilst more people lose their jobs and more business goes bust and it really starts to feck up the economy in a big way, people are going to start to think the collateral damage is worse than the virus itself. Plus, you are just not going to be able to keep 60 million people indoors once we really start to move into the summer season. What we're in at the moment is a honeymoon period during which the government are drawing on a reserve of public goodwill. It isn't going to last for month after month.
Trump in the USA understands this, even if his main consideration is getting re-elected. You can't impose this sort of regime on an open-ended basis in any democratic society. Even China wouldn't get away with it as it would eventually bankrupt them. There has to be a clearly defined end date and it can't be more than a few weeks or the lockdown will end itself anyway through mass non-compliance.

So let me get this right, you're effectively sacrificing the 70+ group (27% survival) and then the immuno compromised and pre-existing illness? It's what Trump's doing so it must be right??

Really?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I used to work as a contractor in B&Q stores all over UK, as I remember there was serious talk of these stores moving toward click n collect , I would imagine the bean counters of that company are looking with great interest at what is happening during this period ,

The problem with click and collect for DIY is that most of us don’t know what a thingy ma jig is called. Plus a lot of purchases are emergency this failed / needs sorting so we want it straight away in our hands.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Unfortunately that is often the case especially for those who already have a hatred of cyclists. They'll be calls for us to stay at home in case we have an accident and have to involve the emergency services at this time of great pressure on the NHS.

Rather than cycling, It's actually a great opportunity to do some DIY

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-52260970

or may be not.

Indeed people doing DIY at home increases eye injuries 1,800% impacting NHS.

The problem with click and collect for DIY is that most of us don’t know what a thingy ma jig is called. Plus a lot of purchases are emergency this failed / needs sorting so we want it straight away in our hands.
Screwfix are doing lockdown click and collect and the website photos should let you identify the correct sprongle widget.

Reactions: C R

Slick

Guru
I do not think you will have an option for a good while. Shame for me as I am already booked and paid for September, which I doubt I will be going.
I'm booked up for 7 days golfing break in September with quite a few mates but fortunately only paid the guy in the group who is organising things for us. I still hope things will have returned to a more normal footing but like you fully expect to be holidaying at home this year.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I credit you with more intelligence than my 85 year old shopping twice as often as before brother. Who just received a huge order of toilet rolls from Italy, yep Italy.
Not very sensible, I admit, but it's good that he is (currently!) well enough to do his own shopping at his age.

The toilet roll panic was so odd... I had 6 rolls in when the crisis started and still have 5 left now! Lidl had none available for nearly a month but they seem to be okay now. I had intended to buy another pack when they finally reappeared but there doesn't seem any point and... if I DID then I would have to leave something else off the shopping list because 1/3 of my rucksack would be taken up and I would have to make (*gasp* :okay:) an otherwise unnecessary extra trip to the shops!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
So let me get this right, you're effectively sacrificing the 70+ group (27% survival) and then the immuno compromised and pre-existing illness? It's what Trump's doing so it must be right??

Really?

What I'm saying is that the lockdown is not going to hold for months to come, regardless of whether health officials and scientists would like it to. That's the reality of the situation. I see groups of people, mainly youngsters, congregating and ignoring the rules already, and as time goes on it can only get more widespread and more blatant. Lockdown has got a very limited shelf life, after which it will either get ended by the government to save face/prevent economic armageddon, or it will be ended by significant parts of the population simply ignoring it. You might be willing to stay in half the year and lose your job, millions of others will simply not accept that scenario.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As often as necessary***.

*** Defined by me as 'to purchase what I need'. Bearing in mind that some things are only available on certain days due to stock shortages, and that my load capacity for any one trip is 35 litres (rucksack) and just over 10 kgs.
If by this you mean you'll use shopping as a reason to ride you're putting yourself in greater danger.

The places to avoid are supermarkets, they are not places to visit as an excuse for a bike ride.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I was not suggesting you were one of them, I credit you with more intelligence than my 85 year old shopping twice as often as before brother. Who just received a huge order of toilet rolls from Italy, yep Italy.

It’s really his choice given his age, likely years left, and the likelihood no vaccine for some time. Chris Whitty said as much about the choices of the elderly approaching natural end of life, about two weeks back. Chris Whitty didn’t have a problem with it.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My experience is that it's not customers generally that are the problem but staff in Asda and Sainsbury's. Morrisons was fine in that respect but only Aldi and Waitrose near me appear to be bothering to wipe trolley handles , no Tesco and have not been to Lidl. But still leaves big issues on matters such as self service tills, self scan devices and fridge/freezer doors.
Locally Tesco and Lidl both provide a spray and paper towels to clean whatever they wish. I do the trolley and my hands when I enter the store and my hands again after loading the car boot but before getting in the car.

screenman

Legendary Member
It’s really his choice given his age, likely years left, and the likelihood no vaccine for some time. Chris Whitty said as much about the choices of the elderly about two weeks back. Chris Whitty didn’t have a problem with it.

Did he say go shopping twice as often as normal? If he did I missed it.

Top Bottom